Networking

• 1 month later...

I am trying to direct connectioning two computers (PC to laptop). I have checked that all hardware (cables and LAN cards) is working properly. I use my host computer (PC) to dial into my other computer (laptop) but I keep receiveing a '777' error message. Maybe Doc you could give me a few points on what I maybe doing wrong. Could it be my protocals?

Do you have Win2K installed on both PC's ? If so, are you sure the modem drivers are the correct ones ? Also, try a "straight cable, instead of x-connect.

I know the 777 message when one upgrades his HP PC and then tries to connect. But apart from that, I haven't seen it before.

No, Doc I do not have Win2K on both PC's that I am trying to use for a direct cable connection (one is Win98). I have an understanding that I am not restricted to using the same version of Windows on both computers. I also thought it would be alright to use bi-directional serial or parallel port cable or a null modem cable. Is there something that I am doing wrong by using any of these? Althought it was recommended to use parallel port mode as it will transfer data much faster that serial mode.

You are correct. It shouldn't matter what OS you use on either PC.

And yes, parallel is faster then serial. I will try to look for something else that I can find on the subject, but as far as I can see things, you're doing it correctly.

(Have you tried playing a LAN game to see if all works okay ?)