Can't launch RT2 (v1.56) since last Win-7 update

For a couple years now, I've needed to launch RT2 twice before it would actually "open". Now it just runs in the background without ever claiming the screen. Even though I don't play very often anymore, I'll be very sad if one of my favorite games has been obsolesced by Microshaft  :(

Does anyone have any suggestions?

7 hours ago, jeffryfisher said:

For a couple years now, I've needed to launch RT2 twice before it would actually "open". Now it just runs in the background without ever claiming the screen. Even though I don't play very often anymore, I'll be very sad if one of my favorite games has been obsolesced by Microshaft  :(

Does anyone have any suggestions?

I know the feeling (of frustration) though I haven't experienced that specific problem. I ran RRT II for many years on W98SE, then XP for many more. But my HD finally bit the dust and I bought a new laptop running Windows 10. So I skipped W7 altogether and have never had a RRT II problem with W10. I didn't know they were still updating Win 7.

My first hunch would be to look at video drivers. Did that update mess with any of your drivers?

Doubtful it messed with drivers. I think only vital security updates are sent to Win-7 these days. I'll look at the compatibility setting and then see if Win-10 can work for me as well as it does for you (luckily my Win-10 laptop has a DVD / CD drive to spin the key).

• 2 weeks later...
On 1/18/2024 at 9:29 AM, jeffryfisher said:

Doubtful it messed with drivers. I think only vital security updates are sent to Win-7 these days. I'll look at the compatibility setting and then see if Win-10 can work for me as well as it does for you (luckily my Win-10 laptop has a DVD / CD drive to spin the key).

So have you resolved your issue?

On 1/29/2024 at 11:30 AM, CrownVic95 said:

So have you resolved your issue?

Yes -- I had an RT2 backup data disk instead of my backup install disk in the optical drive (similar writing on the upper surface).

Note to self: After backing up my saved games etc, don't leave the disk near the computer.

• Upvote 1

7 hours ago, jeffryfisher said:

Yes -- I had an RT2 backup data disk instead of my backup install disk in the optical drive (similar writing on the upper surface).

Note to self: After backing up my saved games etc, don't leave the disk near the computer.

Glad to hear you found and fixed it.

Your post reminded me of a similar issue I had with Firefox for....years, I'd say....until I stumbled on the cause by accident. Most detail and text is too small for my old eyes on my 21" monitor that I run at 1920X1080. So I set the scaling in Windows 10 to 150% - have done it for years. But there is one exception to that, one program that runs off the screen at that scale and can't be adapted to run compatibly with it - Railroad Tycoon II 😉.

So back to Firefox. When I started Firefox, it would (almost) always open to a mini-rectangle at the top of the screen (along with the standard taskbar icon) and I would have to single click it twice to expand to normal. I gave up trying to figure out why and just lived with it for a long time. Then one day recently I opened it immediately after running RRTII at its required 100% scale. There it was - full screen (with little tiny text), no extra clicking required.

That was it! It opened with its modified version of "minimized" because of my scaling setting. Opens normally when set at 100% for younger eyes. 🙂 I had experienced that  from time to time before (which is why I said "almost" above), but never made the connection 'til just the other day.

• Like 1

On 2/2/2024 at 7:09 AM, CrownVic95 said:

Glad to hear you found and fixed it.

Your post reminded me of a similar issue I had with Firefox for....years, I'd say....until I stumbled on the cause by accident. Most detail and text is too small for my old eyes on my 21" monitor that I run at 1920X1080. So I set the scaling in Windows 10 to 150% - have done it for years. But there is one exception to that, one program that runs off the screen at that scale and can't be adapted to run compatibly with it - Railroad Tycoon II 😉.

So back to Firefox. When I started Firefox, it would (almost) always open to a mini-rectangle at the top of the screen (along with the standard taskbar icon) and I would have to single click it twice to expand to normal. I gave up trying to figure out why and just lived with it for a long time. Then one day recently I opened it immediately after running RRTII at its required 100% scale. There it was - full screen (with little tiny text), no extra clicking required.

That was it! It opened with its modified version of "minimized" because of my scaling setting. Opens normally when set at 100% for younger eyes. 🙂 I had experienced that  from time to time before (which is why I said "almost" above), but never made the connection 'til just the other day.

Well, so much for that theory, or supposition, observation. It's (apparent) validity lasted only a matter of days. Firefox is now right back to opening minimally at default 100% scaling. There was an update to version 122.01 that I installed on Feb 7th, I believe, just 3 days ago. It would seem logical to blame the change on that update, but would be just a guess.

Mozilla has a long history of breaking Firefox with "upgrades" and updates, but I've yet to find any alternative that is preferable overall. Firefox is the worst browser out there.......except for all the others.  😉

4 hours ago, CrownVic95 said:

Mozilla has a long history of breaking Firefox with "upgrades" and updates, but I've yet to find any alternative that is preferable overall. Firefox is the worst browser out there.......except for all the others.  😉

How democratic!

Once upon a time, it was possible for Firefox and Thunderbird to each have one profile on one shared partition used by both Win-10 and Ubuntu on my dual-boot machine. I could then achieve "synchronization" internally because each version literally read the same files as the other. Then some genius broke one of the cardinal design laws of all Mozilla applications by making OS-dependent versions of one or more files in their profiles, forcing me (I hate being forced) to assign my profiles to one OS and abandon the other.

Now when I ask about synchronization, I am told to upload all of my (personal and private) email and browsing data to Mozilla's cloud. Like Hell I will.

2 hours ago, jeffryfisher said:

How democratic!

Once upon a time, it was possible for Firefox and Thunderbird to each have one profile on one shared partition used by both Win-10 and Ubuntu on my dual-boot machine. I could then achieve "synchronization" internally because each version literally read the same files as the other. Then some genius broke one of the cardinal design laws of all Mozilla applications by making OS-dependent versions of one or more files in their profiles, forcing me (I hate being forced) to assign my profiles to one OS and abandon the other.

Now when I ask about synchronization, I am told to upload all of my (personal and private) email and browsing data to Mozilla's cloud. Like Hell I will.

Speaking of Thunderbird, do you use it? If so, have you succumbed to their "latest and greatest"....Supernova? I've used TB for 5 years now, since my XP machine bit the dust and I had to move to Windows 10.

But I read too many harsh and skeptical reviews of 115 early on to warm at all to the idea of "upgrading". I have stayed with 102 and, given all I've read for the last 7 months or so, there is no way in the world I will "upgrade". Especially since it has become a nightmare to try to "downgrade" to a previous TB version. And it got that way even before 115's release. But now, from most reports, it's worse than ever.

I'm happy with 102, except for it's daily nagging to "upgrade"....which can't be turned off any way that I have been able to find.

I've looked at some alternatives, but found none that didn't have issues that gave me pause.

19 hours ago, CrownVic95 said:

have you succumbed to their "latest and greatest"....Supernova?

Ubuntu has been upgrading TB without asking permission for years now (since about the same time the sync broke between WIn-10 and Linux), and there's no way to even ask it to wait until I'm ready. Likewise Firefox -- It'll sometimes become unusable in the middle of the day because it has upgraded without my knowledge or consent, and then I'm forced to restart it, even losing work / losing my browsing place(s).

23 hours ago, jeffryfisher said:

Ubuntu has been upgrading TB without asking permission for years now (since about the same time the sync broke between WIn-10 and Linux), and there's no way to even ask it to wait until I'm ready. Likewise Firefox -- It'll sometimes become unusable in the middle of the day because it has upgraded without my knowledge or consent, and then I'm forced to restart it, even losing work / losing my browsing place(s).

So I take it that you have Supernova and are using it? Do you like it or do you wish you had 102 back?

9 hours ago, jeffryfisher said:

I have never heard the name "Supernova" (wrt Thunderbird) before now.

Everyone who uses Thunderbird knows that they call their newest release (in July '23) Supernova.

Clearly, you don't want to answer my question or even have a discussion. (More than) enough time wasted.

Good day.

I use thunderbird. I never new the July 23 release was called Supernova either until mentioned above so everyone does NOT know. I much prefer version numbers to names.

The version of railroad tycoon 2 I now use is from GoodoldGames - gog.com which doesnt need a CD at all as all their game are DRM free (and legal) I've not had rhe double launch problem with it. I would suspect a DRM timing issue if using a version of the executable that requires a CD as some other games that required a CD to be in the drive stopped working as the DRM they used was found to be a security risk so microsoft disabled the services they needed to run  

• Like 1