"Too many deliveries"

MattBaker

Hey, I'm testing the last map of my campaign, but it always pops out "too many deliveries" at the middle or late stage.  I try to set delivery units and time but it still comes out, yet not at the same time. Does it mean there are too many units in total by "starport delivery" or there are too many units that were delivered at the same time? Or, does it also include the "unit spawn" units and reinforcement units?

Just because of this problem that I cannot fix, I have to postpone the upload.

Edited by MattBaker

1 hour ago, MattBaker said:

Hey, I'm testing the last map of my campaign, but it always pops out "too many deliveries" at the middle or late stage.  I try to set delivery units and time but it still comes out, yet not at the same time. Does it mean there are too many units in total by "starport delivery" or there are too many units that were delivered at the same time? Or, does it also include the "unit spawn" units and reinforcement units?

Just because of this problem that I cannot fix, I have to postpone the upload.

First: "too many deliveries" could also refer to traditional reinforcements, so check those. 

That error can happen for these reasons:
1: You have an event set to give reinforcements when something happens; for example, "reinforcements when outpost doesn't exist", so when you destroy the building the game crashes because repeats this reinforcements every microsecond thus "too many deliveries" 

2: You have set a reinforcement to loop, and eventually your carryalls cannot land all the units before a new carryall enter the game, so when the second carryall enter the game won't have room to deploy units, and a third enter meanwhile the other two are still trying to deliver and so on. At the end game crashes.

3: Too many reinforcements at the same time. Like if you have set 1 reinforcement to loop ever 2000 ticks, another every 7000, other every 14.000 ticks, another to 15.000 ticks........ by the time the game reach 60.000 ticks all those reinforcements are going to be delivered at that exact moment and the game crash (the game allow over 10 reinforcements at the same time).

4. If you make an AI to "leave" (all his buildings/units explode) but the event to keep sending reinforcements is still active, the game crash because those carryalls are still counted by the game.

Knowing you style; probably or either you have an area too crowed with units/carryalls/rocks so the units can't land before more carryalls enter the game; or maybe if you have a very big amount of reinforcements at different times at some point +10 carryalls are delivering something.

Next time game crashes keep and eye to the error: "gameticks=<number>" the number will tell you exactly when the game broke, so you can check what you have scripted to happen at that amount of ticks (X minutes).

2 hours ago, MattBaker said:

snip

Cm summed it up real good. Basically, 10+ Carryalls delivering something for events at the same time = c r a s h

Unit spawns are fine. My tower defense map spawns around ~2500 units in total over a 20-minute period (on fastest speed, IRL time), and it has never crashed from the "Too many deliveries!" error. If you'd like to see for yourself how the unit pathing is supposed to work with so many units, here's a link:
https://forum.dune2k.com/topic/27783-wip-smugglers-campaign-2/?do=findComment&comment=396435

The above example wouldn't be useful for learning reinforcement behaviors, but you might notice a thing or two about how units move around that you didn't see before.

I can't make it... Initially, it crashes with gametick=70010. I changed something then it goes to 75008~75010. then 80010, then 85010, 90010, now 100010 and still crashes. I nearly change or delete everything and it still happens at 100010 and I really dont know what to do. In other maps I have lots of deliveries and it does not happen like this. 

I can't make it... Initially, it crashes with gametick=70010. I changed something then it goes to 75008~75010. then 80010, then 85010, 90010, now 100010 and still crashes. I nearly change or delete everything and it still happens at 100010 and I really dont know what to do. In other maps I have lots of deliveries and it does not happen like this. 

Mind posting the map file? I'm sure Cm or I would be able to figure it out. :)

I just remember another way to trigger the "too many deliveries", and that's if there are too many frigates, not only in the sky but trying to land.

For example, if I set a %100 loop on a deliverie, after 4 seconds 1 frigate appear; meanwhile it's landing and delivering units, the game is still running, so 4 second later a "second" frigate it's in queue to join (game only allow 1 frigate at a time); but even 4 seconds later, when the game it's already queuing the third frigate, the first one is still finishing delivering the final units so, by the time the very first frigate go out of the map, the game already have 6 or even 7 frigates there waiting. It's not exactly your case, but maybe a bit yes if you combine the carryalls on the map and the frigates, not only on the map but in queue waiting to be delivered (since they also count).

In short, game crashes in a just a few seconds more for that reason.

Keep in mind that when I talk about reinforcements delivered, not only means at the same exact time; I mean, when you may a carryall to appear from a part of the map, land, delivering X amount of units, take off and go out of the map; this take the carryall 500 ticks (will depend of the size of the map and other factors, but for simplicity let's say it's exactly 500 ticks).

Doesn't matter if you set 1 reinforcement to appear at 8000 ticks and another at 8008; for the game, during 8000-8500 ticks the game has 2 carryalls at the same time of the game; keep this in mind when calculating when to drop units.

I did a bit of math with the calculator; I cannot see any moment "too hard", I found that between "60000 - 60501 - 60005 - 60195" ticks you have 4 reinforcements/deliveries (all comes near each other, just count them as 4) and "70064 - 70635 - 70601" later; I didn't bother to full calculate the ones with 50 intervals because there are only 3 and the others with 8-10 intervals are over by the time the time it's 80.000 ticks or so, so those ones with 50 intervals alones won't make you game crash.

So, in short; I don't think any of your reinforcements or deliveries have a problem, they don't seems to share the same timer next to each other. However, maybe there is another reason why it's happenning.

This is just a guess; but maybe has to do with a combination of the deliveries and the attack morale of the Ai's set to 80. I cannot tell exactly how the morale works, but when that number it's less than 100, the AI got "scared" when it's dieing units (him or his allies).

Maybe what happens it's, by the time you reach 70.000 ticks (46 minutes in the game it's enough time to kill thousands of enemy units), those Ai's (1 or all of them) start to be "scare", and not sending units to attack as often as in the early going. Because of that, units get grouping at the bases; then a new "delivery" it's scripted to appear, but because there are plenty of units around those starports, the frigate have trouble dropping those units and eventually the game crash because the frigates takes too many time to actually deliver their stuff.

As two suggestion:
1: change the "morale attack Building" of all Ai's to 100. This way it's guarantee that the Atr will attack every 10.000 ticks, Hark every 4000, and so on.

2: Add an event "reveal map" to trigger at the beggining of the game (or any other moment) with the radius to "0"; this will reveal te whole map for you. <-- use this for testing purposes; after you are sure that the map works fine you can delete (other solution, if you still have a save game there, load 1 that it's near the time when you game crash and use debug mode to jump from Ai to AI and spy what they have or they are doing, maye you find 1 specific AI doing something wrong).

Extra suggestion:
Since the game crash around 70.000-80.000~100.000 ticks; on the "time limit" place "-2"; this will appear a negative countdown "-1, -2, -3..."
70.000 it's around 46 minutes into the game, so when you are approaching 45 minutes (with the screen timer you can see clearly when it's the time) you can spend a bit of your time to scan the map (with the reveal map to 0, the whole map it's uncovered, so you can spy at the AI easy).

This way you can see exactly what it's happen at the AI's bases, and if you see any specific AI grouping too many units around the starport/base then you know which AI it's the one crashing your game (maybe after you change the morale to 100 doesn't happen).

Either way; I recommend to add a "reveal map = 0" any time you are testing a map (more if has lots of enemies/reinforcementes/deliveries) just to see if there is 1 specific AI that is messing the game and has nothing to do with the rest of you scripting.

I hope all this help.

Pd: I like the "raider that have a note attached" to deliver a note by an enemy; that's interesting and more inmerse way to do it.

Edited by Cm_blast

After changing "morale attack Building" of all Ai's to 100, the error doesn't occur this time. I will run 2 or 3 times; if it's ok I'll upload the package. 

Good to know.

If you can, try to edit your post and remove all the empty lines around the quote, just to avoid the huge post that was created.

Hey, glad to see you got this solved. XD

I would have posted sooner, but my HDD was suddenly corrupted outta nowhere. I lost a ton of data including a bunch of new map files, unfortunately, and it turns out data recovery is impossible. So, uhh, I've been dealing with that.

I'm glad Cm was able to get the problem solved in the meantime.

13 hours ago, Fey said:

Hey, glad to see you got this solved. XD

I would have posted sooner, but my HDD was suddenly corrupted outta nowhere. I lost a ton of data including a bunch of new map files, unfortunately, and it turns out data recovery is impossible. So, uhh, I've been dealing with that.

I'm glad Cm was able to get the problem solved in the meantime.

Sorry to hear that. Shadow hunter says, "Don't worry, be happy!"

14 hours ago, Cm_blast said:

Good to know.

If you can, try to edit your post and remove all the empty lines around the quote, just to avoid the huge post that was created.

I checked all missions, they should all be fine. Thanks!

On 5/4/2019 at 9:00 AM, MattBaker said:

Sorry to hear that. Shadow hunter says, "Don't worry, be happy!"

There's a saying: Yesterday is history, tomorrow is a mystery, but today is a gift! That's why it's called 'the present.'

XD The lesson, of course, being that I should back up my data more often. And you should too! Don't make the same mistake; this suuucks!

Say, so you're into Warcraft too? Just the RTS, WC III, or into WoW at all? I heard they were going to re-release classic WoW. Gonna be good. I've been playing classic for a while on a private server or two, but nothing can beat the real deal, right? I also like WC III, but I totally suck at it. It's a great game, I just have trouble remembering how to use all the different units very well. 😅

Edited by Fey

9 hours ago, Fey said:

There's a saying: Yesterday is history, tomorrow is a mystery, but today is a gift! That's why it's called 'the present.'

XD The lesson, of course, being that I should back up my data more often. And you should too! Don't make the same mistake; this suuucks!

Say, so you're into Warcraft too? Just the RTS, WC III, or into WoW at all? I heard they were going to re-release classic WoW. Gonna be good. I've been playing classic for a while on a private server or two, but nothing can beat the real deal, right? I also like WC III, but I totally suck at it. It's a great game, I just have trouble remembering how to use all the different units very well. 😅

aha I play WC III, not the others, on Battle.net, some classic and dota1 as well. I'm kind of semi-noob :D