[RELEASE] Campaign map editor alpha 0.5 - Huge terrain editing improvements!

Klofkac

Mainly R is for reinforcements, H-Harverster, S-Unit spawn, M-Reveal Map, T-Unit in Tile.

Explain me, if you please, what does it mean "Unit in Tile"?

I read in this topic about Death Hand Accuracy. So I open map for mission, where the Death Hand missile appears first time. H8V1.MAP. There is GREY (why grey?) square on the map in Harkonnen base. T11. See the picture below.

Aua2O5yt5D.JPG

I think the "fill with sand" option is overdoing a bit.

Example: I have this test map.

attachicon.giftoo much.PNG

If I choose "sand 1x1" and double click in the area with the Ordos units/buildings, the program delete EVERYTHING, just because some dunes are conecting with that area, conected by spice, conected by vehicles, conected by random tiles, etc... (of course, all Ordos are deleted as well).

This can be a problem, if someone is thinking "mmm... I don't like this spice field, no problem, I just fill ti with sand and redraw it again", he can delete more than expected because of this.

Oh, look at this. Original Ordos Level 9. Look at the shredding of the map trying to fill the Harkonnen Area

attachicon.gifOverdoing.wmv

I perfectly know about this (and did not need to see the video). This is due to the principle how filling works - it only checks if there is clean sand or anything else. Filling with sand overwrites everything, what is not clean sand, with sand, regardless if it's spice, dunes, rock area, or there are only units.

I could change the logic and make it distinguish more types of areas, probably "clean sand", "spice", "dunes" and "anything else" is possible.

I read in this topic about Death Hand Accuracy. So I open map for mission, where the Death Hand missile appears first time. H8V1.MAP. There is GREY (why grey?) square on the map in Harkonnen base. T11. See the picture below.

It has absolutely nothing to do with Death Hand Missile. If you work with Mission editor (do you?), you can find "Unit in tile" among conditions. Unit in tile is triggered, when any unit (belonging to human player) enters that tile, or is near the tile (probably there is 2 tiles range). The most perfect example is A5V1: when your unit approaches Smugglers base, you first get warning, and then (when you get closer) they become enemy. Unit in tile is used here: you can look at it in map editor.

Unit in tile is used in many maps and it often triggers reinforcements: for example when you approach enemy base, the enemy gets reinforcement to protect their base. In H8V1 it is probably this case: Ordos will probably get Reinforcement at R44 when your unit get close to T11.

• Upvote 1

I perfectly know about this (and did not need to see the video). This is due to the principle how filling works - it only checks if there is clean sand or anything else. Filling with sand overwrites everything, what is not clean sand, with sand, regardless if it's spice, dunes, rock area, or there are only units.

I could change the logic and make it distinguish more types of areas, probably "clean sand", "spice", "dunes" and "anything else" is possible.

Was fun looking how the program could delete 95% of that map in the vídeo by just double clicking. Would be great if you can do to distinguish more areas at least the rock/spice/dunes. 

Klofkac answer you, but I want to add a hue. Although is called "Unit in Tile" is not exactly about stepping in the tile but reveal it. (a light infantry need to stay really close, but a Missile tank not).

So, that T11 means that when one unit reveal that square, that will trigger "something".

Can be reinforcements, a message or whatever a modder can imagine.

In the case of the level you said, when any of your units go near that tile (revealing it), the event "Reinforcement number 44" will trigger, dropping a bunch of enemy Soldiers there.

And like Klofkac said, If you look in the A5V1 map, there are some "T" near the smuggler starport. So when you are near that spot some message like "Atreides, don't come or we will destroy you". 

In fact, in the T15 a change in the diplomat is made. The Smugglers (until now neutrals) become enemy with you.

• Upvote 1

Although is called "Unit in Tile" is not exactly about stepping in the tile but reveal it. (a light infantry need to stay really close, but a Missile tank not).

So, that T11 means that when one unit reveal that square, that will trigger "something".

Really. To reveal. Special thanks for this, Cm_blast! 

In the case of the level you said, when any of your units go near that tile (revealing it), the event "Reinforcement number 44" will trigger, dropping a bunch of enemy Soldiers there.

:) Yesterday I tried to understand why the event "Reinforcement number 44" was happened right after start of game (8 mission). Units was farther than 3 square of map from T11 and they did not across T11.  ???

So why? Because this part of map was REVEALED from the start of the game! Missile Tanks and so on were near. I added them in Map Editor.

Thank you! Now I understand.

Klofkac answer you, but I want to add a hue. Although is called "Unit in Tile" is not exactly about stepping in the tile but reveal it. (a light infantry need to stay really close, but a Missile tank not).

Can be reinforcements, a message or whatever a modder can imagine.

And like Klofkac said, If you look in the A5V1 map, there are some "T" near the smuggler starport. So when you are near that spot some message like "Atreides, don't come or we will destroy you". 

In fact, in the T15 a change in the diplomat is made. The Smugglers (until now neutrals) become enemy with you.

Thanks for the information, I did not know about that. I thought that the unit needed to step about 2 tiles far from that "Unit in tile" tile to trigger it.

Really. To reveal. Special thanks for this, Cm_blast! 

:) Yesterday I tried to understand why the event "Reinforcement number 44" was happened right after start of game (8 mission). Units was farther than 3 square of map from T11 and they did not across T11.  ???

So why? Because this part of map was REVEALED from the start of the game! Missile Tanks and so on were near. I added them in Map Editor.

Thank you! Now I understand.

Keep in mind that in the editor in this case the reinforcements are near, but you can make drop enemy reinforcements in the other side of the map. Is not mandatory that the reinforcements are dropped so near.

One of my campaigns have sereval "unit in tile" near and abandoned base (in the level you need to capture it), when you step near any of those some "reveal map" are triggered in that abandoned base, just to help the player to see all the buildings he need to capture (because engineers had low sight).

And in other campaign I used the "unit in tile" to trigger a mission win. If you can reveal that square you win instantly the level.

Thanks for the information, I did not know about that. I thought that the unit needed to step about 2 tiles far from that "Unit in tile" tile to trigger it.

I though the same when I started with the mission editor. Using Trikes I was "well, I didn't step in the tile yet and the reinforcements are already here".