Sid Meier's Railroads!

Towns along the fault line, if a quake hits, will rock and roll;  But, the big buildings are earth quake proof,  so they say.

Most of the old brick buildings are long gone.  Very little room for more buildings in Seattle or Portland for that matter.

They continuely tear down the old and build new taller buildings.  I don't believe Seattle & Portland will be toast.

There has been a lot of talk over the years about yellowstone taking out 5 or 6 states should it blow.

The last million years has given our world much to worry about if Political-Science is correct. 

If its not huge space rocks then its' the sun shooting cosmic blasts at us.

I think you are correct it is more political then real.   

China has invested heavily in the N.W.   Now which political party did they join.  The World War 3 party.  

Not much safety left to enjoy anywhere.

I received 17 windows up-dates last tues.  Maybe part of windows 10  ??? ???    Now that is something to worry about.   :blink:

Apparently this story has been out there for years, but I just never heard it before. Never got the media headline that it did just a few days ago. At least not to my knowledge.

Yes, I think Portland and Seattle will weather it OK. Some earthquake damage, but little to no tsunami. But Portland and Seattle are not my focus. I really would like to be on the coast. I mean, like this....

http://olympic.craigslist.org/apa/5138292394.html

But the tsunami from the one they're saying is inevitable would wipe out the coast. So one day you're enjoying the good life and the next, you're homeless with all your belongings destroyed and perhaps no way to escape the devastated area. Followed by weeks or months of near complete isolation with no home, no power and no new supply of food or anything else if ground transportation links are destroyed. I don't know, I guess maybe they'd send rescue boats if there was no ground access. But talk about losing everything.

Even if the risk within my lifetime were know-ably (which it isn't) tiny, it's hard for me to truly envision going forward with that plan. Maybe it's time for me to look at Maine. I really do miss the 4 seasons I grew up with. :)

If you did go ahead, look for a place high above the beach.

Maine has had a lot of snow in the past. I read about the 2 ft gauge rairoads and snow. But It is a nice place to live in the summer.

Another thought:

Along the Columbia River would be a good place to retire.  There are a lot of high places that over look the river.  

A long time ago a huge lnland lake broke free of the ice dam and washed seaward for over 300 miles creating the Columbia river.

The ice and water reached over 2000 feet high in places as it filled behind the coastal mountains then washed out a river channel.

I would think a good place to retire would be down river on the Washington side about halfway between Portland and the beach.

A lot of boat activity on that part of the river and with few jobs in the general area it does create low prices for properties or rentals.

A thought about RRs: 

A new 100 mile long trail was opened from East of Seattle to the Columbia River.

I've been searching for the RR that created this route.  It seems right to be the Union Pacific RR. 

I believe they were the first RR to build from the Columbia River to Auburn a city that is 40 Miles South of the Seattle area. 

The Auburn end of the line is still in use with container, coal and oil trains using the route.

There are a lot of routes that are now trackless in Washington.

If you did go ahead, look for a place high above the beach.

Maine has had a lot of snow in the past. I read about the 2 ft gauge rairoads and snow. But It is a nice place to live in the summer.

Another thought:

Along the Columbia River would be a good place to retire.  There are a lot of high places that over look the river.  

A long time ago a huge lnland lake broke free of the ice dam and washed seaward for over 300 miles creating the Columbia river.

The ice and water reached over 2000 feet high in places as it filled behind the coastal mountains then washed out a river channel.

I would think a good place to retire would be down river on the Washington side about halfway between Portland and the beach.

A lot of boat activity on that part of the river and with few jobs in the general area it does create low prices for properties or rentals.

A thought about RRs: 

A new 100 mile long trail was opened from East of Seattle to the Columbia River.

I've been searching for the RR that created this route.  It seems right to be the Union Pacific RR. 

I believe they were the first RR to build from the Columbia River to Auburn a city that is 40 Miles South of the Seattle area. 

The Auburn end of the line is still in use with container, coal and oil trains using the route.

There are a lot of routes that are now trackless in Washington.

Thank you. Somewhere along the Columbia might be a good compromise at that. Lot of towns like Hood River that I've never given serious thought to. I'll check into housing options and do some mulling on that.

Satellites?

Corruption of SE-attellites (residents of Seattle)

I've been mulling over retirement options and I keep getting drawn back to the Pacific coast

My top 2 priorities, after the cool summer temperatures and scenic beauty of the coast,

are people quality and cost of living. So from your experience, where am I going to find

more attractive options....Oregon or Washington?

My recommendation is *in* Washington near a bridge to Oregon. Then you can collect your income in

a state (WA) that has no personal income tax, and you can spend it in a state (OR) that has no sales tax.

Options include Ilwaco/Longbeach, Kent/Longview, Vancouver, and Stevenson. Since the two states are

divided by the mighty Columbia river, you'll have a large water feature at all of those locations.

However, Ilwaco/Long Beach (north of Astoria OR) is the one offering *salt* water and breakers.

Corruption of SE-attellites (residents of Seattle)

My recommendation is *in* Washington near a bridge to Oregon. Then you can collect your income in

a state (WA) that has no personal income tax, and you can spend it in a state (OR) that has no sales tax.

Options include Ilwaco/Longbeach, Kent/Longview, Vancouver, and Stevenson. Since the two states are

divided by the mighty Columbia river, you'll have a large water feature at all of those locations.

However, Ilwaco/Long Beach (north of Astoria OR) is the one offering *salt* water and breakers.

Thank you. Now I get the "SE-attellites" thing.