Demo stuff

sourgrass

In case anybody still reads this forum!

I've made a few comparisons between the rolling demo mentioned in this topic and the DOS floppy version of Dune on TCRF. I actually started on it when that topic was new, but it's only now that I've really looked into the text. The differences on that page certainly aren't exhaustive, but it's interesting seeing the little ways the game changed in the months before its release.

I'm curious as to whether anyone's found anything related to the debug stuff - if there's anything left of it in the final game apart from a few strings.

And on the game's main page I mention the game's demo recording feature. I'm sure someone must have come across it before, but I only came across it whlie looking into all this other stuff. I haven't really tested it, but it records all your clicks and menu choices, so if you record yourself saving and loading games, the playback saves and loads games too. It's great learning new things about decades-old games!

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

• 1 year later...
  • 3 years later...
On 1/24/2015 at 4:43 AM, sourgrass said:

I'm curious as to whether anyone's found anything related to the debug stuff - if there's anything left of it in the final game apart from a few strings.

In memory dump of CD version of the game, all of the following options are still being referred to, right after character names displayed upon completion of the game (preceded by "In order of appearance"): SUPER FREMEN HERE, PHASE LOC KNOWN, ALL SIETCHS KNOWN, RALLY ALL FREMEN/SIETCH, ALL LOC PROSPECTED, MUAD'DIB + 10, SHOW COORDS/SMALL MAP, TIME VERY FAST, TIME NORMAL, VEGET EVERYWHERE, SHOW TRAVEL ANGLES, SHOW VARIABLE, BACK TO SCR, ALL TEXTS, SHOW TIME AND SPEED, BUF TO SCR, ALL LOC KNOWN, NO "TOO FAR...", GOTO PHASE 80, INCPHASE, PHASE 123, GO->GAME END, HARKO ATTACK, NOT KILLED, 9 PERSOS HERE, ALL PERSOS.

Thus, I assume that development & testing menu remains accessible as earlier and most-likely activated by pressing certain combination of keys while staying on Game credits page, which happens to be the last one in player's plot development handbook. However, in order to discover that combination, an additional inquiry into the program's debugging output will have to be carried out.