RT II and Windows Vista

Fuzzy

G'mornin' Folks,

New here.....

I reside in Costa Rica, and have an old CD of "RT II The Next Millenium Special Edition".

I have not played the game in years, tried to run on this computer using Windows Vista 64 bit and get a windows note saying to contact manufacturer for 64 bit version.

I have done a search here, and have found nothing like a patch to allow this game to run.....

Is there anything available?

Thanx,

Fuzz

Welcome

Try control panel - Action center - compatibility troubleshooter

If you don't have a 64 conversion program on the C drive,

Search for -   windows 64 conversion program.

The instructions are easy to follow.

I placed the 64 RRT2 conversion icon on my desk top to start  RRT2 

The game then opens and runs on C drive under programs.

Folks,This

is "one" of the result from a search for a 64 bit converter.....    http://service.downloadadmin.com/download/816837/dl?brand=tucows.com&pid=tucows&bc=816837&country=CR&cb=-262700067

No luck so far.......

I also cannot add a photo to my profile......

And can't tell you folks that I am a 64 yo retired Marine Engineer.....I'm a steam kinda guy.....diesels work for autos......

Thanx,

Fuzz

Young man, sorry to hear what is happening.

I was just looking for a simple method.

Open RRT2 and try right clicking on the install.exe icon in the RRT2 program and release right button on compatibility search or something like that.

I will still look for another way to do this

I don't know Vista specifically, but I know some Windoze in general. Try right-clicking on your RR Tycoon shortcut icon (create one if you don't already have one). Select "Properties" and then hunt for "compatibility". If Vista doesn't label things this way, then search for help on "compatibility" in Vista and follow directions for running an old program in a "mode" for an older, 32-bit OS).

To sum up, what you have here is a Vista problem, not a RR Tycoon problem. Once you've mastered Vista, then you're golden.

Fuzzy, I am always reluctant to offer help with issues with the program. I am not a programmer and don't know that much about it. Trying the compatibility settings first is wise.

Some more information about what is happening might be good. Did you manage to install the game? Or, is it just a game run issue?

Silverback kindly provided a link in the"Windoze beyond XP" thread. At that site they have a solution for a 64-bit install issue. The site also says not to run the game from the cd, so maybe this will fix some other issues too.

I also found some useful information here http://www.thegameengine.org/railroad-tycoon-2/

It has a section on LINUX  and WINE and also how to install on 64 bit windows (not directly possible? - need to install on 32 bit and then copy the files?).

Might be worth a try.

What seems to be true:

RRT2 needs to be installed on C drive; (should be done automatically)  under Program Files (X86)

If other duplicate RRT2 programs are install on the same drive, it could cause a problem.  

On a new install RRT2, push right mouse button to open or start game while moving pointer down to program compatibility and release button.

You will get a dialog for you to except compatibility change to windows.  Click OK ( or yes) to except.   Clicking the red lantern should start the game.

I'm not sure how I put the copy of the RRT2 start button on the desk top.  Will work on that later.  

Actually, RT2 is so old-school that it can probably be put anywhere. I recently re-installed XP-pro, and as soon as I had copied the RT2 program directory and its contents to the new drive, RT2 ran without an "installation". That suggests that there are no registry entries (or that they don't matter). All I needed was to have the CD in my optical drive, and a plain old copy of the files gave me the game along with all of my saves and maps.

To put a shortcut of anything onto your desktop (in win-XP), drag it to the desktop and then hold CTRL-SHIFT as your drop it.

• 1 month later...

Many older games have lousy installers that refuse to run on modern systems, such as if the installer is 16-bit and the 64-bit system doesn't include a virtual machine for running such obsolete programs. InstallShield and MSI installers were problematic even back in the day, because they could refuse to run if they didn't like something about the system. The games themselves will most often run fine as long as the video and sound drivers cooperate (varies from one system to another). This is the case with most not so old games, up to the point when things like Steam appeared.

It's a shame really that we can't disucuss repacked versions on most open forums due to copyright reasons.

A recipe that works in making such portable repacks, is, as stated above, making use of an intermediate standard 32-bit computer, or if not possible, an installation of VMWare virtual computer. You extract/install the game there, apply any official patches, then copy the game files over to the main system, add any needed "fixes", transfer any registry entries as normal REG files, verify that the game runs well. Then archive it from the main system into a RAR or ZIP file, so that the process doesn't need to be repeated in the future.

My completely patched repack of RT2 TSC "Platinum", is 445 MB, and it will extract quickly and run without a CD. Hint: From the CD, besides the anim\*.smk, it will attempt to read a file called "music\track03.wav". The contents of this file doesn't matter. The latest patch 1.56 is important to have on modern computers, as it will fix the scrolling speed.

The legally approved "Good Old Games" / GoG releases essentially are made like this. Except they add supplemental media to the game which doesn't belong to it.

Micro Soft has an update that helps most programs run with this compatibility program. 

It seems MS had so many complaints from businesses that run many different and older versions of micro soft programs, MS eat crow and fixed their marketing problem.

• 3 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...