Global Text.uib

Gruntlord6

A common problem with mods that utilize entries in text.uib is that they are not usually compatible with other mods by nature, as they replace or change existing entries that the other mods utilize. So how do we solve this problem? Naturally, a good way would be to never change any existing entries and to only make new entries other mods use. Although this is great in theory, in practice it is unreasonable to expect anyone to keep track of any changes made to the text.uib file and follow those changes themselves.

Starting today, I will be maintaining a version of the file that will cater to the needs of the community in this regard. Starting with version 1.6.1.1 of the Gruntmods Edition of the game, I have made a concerted effort to not touch any existing entries other then the version number, and have created a large area of space in the file where others can fill in their own entries and reference them without having to worry about another mod replacing it. This is part of a larger plan to have an application that can manage installed mods, similar to programs like nexus mod manager.

So where does this tie in to the community? This proposed change would affect the community in different ways for each group involved.

Mod Creators: Mods utilizing the text.uib file would simply send me the changes they would like made to the file, which would then be updated promptly. Existing mods would need to be updated to work with the new entries, which may crate a small amount of work, but this is important for future mod compatibility. You will no longer need to include the txt.uib file with the mod in question, as this will be handled by the user (more on that below). Please direct users to download the file directly if you are worried they do not have access to it, as including an older version defeats the purpose of this (and there will always be newer versions of the file as newer mods are released).

Players: You should notice a large decrease in mods that are incompatible with each other. Starting with the next version of the Gruntmods Edition (1.6.1.3), the game launcher will download the latest text.uib entry to ensure that there are no conflicts and that all mods will be functional without mod authors having to include the file themselves (which would cause issues with newer mods). Plans are being made to also have the file hosted on D2K+, where a mod author would simply direct you to download the file with their mod.

All in all, this isn't a large change, but it will need community support if it is going to work. The main idea is to start standardizing the way mods are interacting with the game (mainly through being installed) so that they can be managed more efficiently. In the future, I plan to make large changes to the way mods are installed and removed from the game, allowing it to be done seamlessly and easily without effort from the user. The next step is to design an installation method that is easily reverted (which I am already starting on).

Let me know what you guys think, and if you have a better idea, feel free to mention it.

• Upvote 2

good idea..

I'll put this into effect..

If anyone is good with C# and would be interested in helping out, my door is always open. As its currently standing, mod management won't even be started for a few months, as my only programmer is busy with real life affairs.

If anyone is good with C# and would be interested in helping out, my door is always open. As its currently standing, mod management won't even be started for a few months, as my only programmer is busy with real life affairs.

well I finished beginner in C++ in my school curriculum..

C# no idea.. sorry..