Dune 2000 O8v1 + O9v1 + H9v2 remakes

Skorocel

Here are some remakes of the original Dune 2000 levels which I made using mvi’s & klofkac’s editors. The terrain & spice is the same (didn’t quite have the mood & courage to change it, LOL), but you’ll have to face some new enemies like Fremen or Smugglers, and in general, these levels are much harder to beat – especially if you play them on HARD difficulty setting. Just copy the .mis & .map files in the mission folder (don’t forget to make a backup of the original ones, of course) & enjoy! Once again, a BIG thanks goes to mvi & klofkac, who made it all possible!

Dune 2000 remake O8v1_O9v1_H9v2.zip

• Upvote 1

• 3 months later...

I am playing O9V1. My old saved is in hard mode. After loading and playing this map, I found this map quite impossible. The mercenaries almost lost everything, and I barely protect the starport. I downloaded D2k toolkit. Any guide how to add reinforcement to mercenaries?

@Moonlight AbaSSy:

So you have problems with my remake of the O9v1 level? Well, it was intended to be tougher than the original ;-), but anyway, I’d say that this particular remake is easier to beat than the remaining two which I thus far did (i.e. H9v2 and O8v1). I can say that I did beat it on hard difficulty fairly easily…

What you basically need to do is to build another 2 refineries right in the beginning + couple of additional harvesters (remember you have 3 carryalls right from the start, so the harvesters should be picked from the spice fields to refineries & vice versa rather quickly). Then build a pretty strong wall of rocket turrets on the left side of the base (somewhere in the place where the Mercenary gun turret is standing in the beginning), and then put a decent number of siege tanks behind it, so that they can repel the attacks of sardaukars & troopers (that’s why I gave you a heavy factory right in the beginning, btw). As for the right side of the Mercenary base (i.e. the place between the two rocket turrets), it’s the same story, but you don’t need to build as many rocket turrets as on the left there as you’ll be attacked mainly by the Smugglers from this side, who maybe receive lots of missile tanks per starport, but they often tend to ignore your turrets and head straight for the Mercenaries & thus are a rather easy target to hit. Also don’t forget to put a decent number of siege tanks near the infantry only area located below the Mercenary outpost, so that no enemy sardaukars or troopers can sneak through it. And, unless you don’t have enough money to build a good defense line of rocket turrets on the upper left side of your base, DON’T build any buildings here (or near this place), as it will be attacked by the Harkonnen.

Last but not least, DON’T forget to watch your harvesters! In the beginning of the level, let them all harvest the spice on the right side of the map (just below your base), but be careful as they can be smashed very easily by the Smugglers (who as I mentioned above receive many missile tanks per starport), so when the level starts, scout the whole area on the right side of the map, so you can then later spot the incoming attack on the radar & move the harvesters back to your base just in time. Later in the level, when the spice will be much scarcer, try to send your harvesters in an area where they are LESS prone to be attacked by the enemy (like, for example, the lower left corner of the map, where there’s an infinite spice bloom).

Now once you have a good enough defense to protect your base from ALL possible sides of incoming attack AND enough money, build a vast army of combat tanks + missile tanks + quads + troopers & destroy the Smugglers first. Once that’s done, your harvesters should have a pretty easy mining, so amass another xy of spice and destroy the upper Atreides base. After that, you can cut the main Atreides & also the Emperor base from the spice by destroying their harvesters (remember that these 2 bases, contrary to Harkonnen, DON’T receive an automatic harvester reinforcement!). Once that’s done, the level becomes pretty much a piece of cake.

As for the Mercenary starport reinforcements, you can change it very easily. Open the Mission editor from the D2K toolkit & then open the O9v1.mis file located in the Dune2000missions folder. If you previously didn’t do any changes to this file, the Mercenary starport reinforcements should be located in the „events“ section, number 36 & 37 (the difference between these 2 events is that in 36, the Mercs will receive the reinforcements a bit sooner than in 37; check the timer to see the exact time, but remember that the time which you see in the editor is multiplied by 60, so if the 36 has a timer of 9000, the real time in seconds will be 9000/60). Now just select either 36 or 37 and, in the menu on the right, you can add or subtract any unit you want. Once you did the desired changes, click on the „Apply“ button & then save the file via the upper left menu.

• 2 weeks later...

I never use turrets since they slow you down as hell :P i won the mission (the one u were talking about ) with a strong economy at start, then tanks :) btw, never underestimate the trooper and use him! He's a very nice guy :P

the mission is not very easy.. players who are not very skilled will have a hard time with it. Also, if you know the AI very well, like u know u,r house, everything becomes alot easier xD I always know how the AI reacts and i always use this against them.

playing this game online offers u nice skills, so u should definitely try it. ah, and a trick which applies almost all the time: No concrete in early game!