First-Past-the-Post Voting System

Yesterday I was watching the Federal Election Results coming from our neighbor to the North -- Canada. The voting system there is similar to the system in the UK. The person who receives the most votes in a legislative district, wins that seat.

So yesterday this seemed to benefit the Conservative Party of Canada, and its' Leader, Stephen Harper -- as the New Democratic Party and the Liberal Party may have split many districts left-leaning vote. Isn't a 2-step Election process better, where after the first Election, the number of candidates are whittled down to 2 people, then there is a scheduled run-off. Or does that lead to a 2-Party system?

In Greece too. If not you may face imprisonment or not given a passport to travel. They said they would change it/changed it? anyway nobody cares-as that law was never enforced.

Anything else than Proportional Representation is a theft of votes.

In Greece there exists a limit of 3% to enter the parliament. Just set to exclude minorities parties (Muslim-Turkish). Even worse in Turkey the limit is much higher: 10%!!! And they would make it even higher to exclude the Kurds. And they call that Democracy!!!

In the US, it's very difficult in some states for parties other than the major 2, to even get on the Ballot. There are signature requirements on petitions that have to be turned in, then those signatures have to be validated by a Board made up of only members of the 2 Parties. To qualify for federal matching funds in the Presidential Election, a Party must get at least 5% of the Vote. To say the least, there are only 2 Parties in the US.

That's what we call Dictatorship, and I wonder why some people are so blind to fail to see the reality.

Consider also:

Only a debate between the 2 major parties political leaders.

Minor parties completely banned from the media.

You're right. I'm glad that you said it. When you've grown up with only 2 parties, and your educated that they are practically 'polar opposites' in belief systems, you fall for 'the lie'. I'm glad I woke up in 2002. Haven't voted since!

I might consider voting if there were a plethora of political parties, but probably not. Not if it is First Past the Post. I wouldn't want to happen what has happened in Canada -- where a belief system that only has 40% of the vote; has a great, great deal of Power in their national legislature.