Mainline of Mid-America

Superchief

This is a map I created a few years ago that may have "disappeared" on this site (although it is site at Hawk's site).  I am reposting it here (and I hope Hawk will post it at his place as well) because I made one crucial change - you will no longer be forced to start in Cairo, but you will still have to connect that town to Chicago as one of  the goals.

The read me file is in .rtf format. Is that okay?

Here are it's contents:

The Mainline of Mid-America is a map I created using Steve Lorenz' old blank map "Chicago to New Orleans". The map features the Illinois Central railroad due to it being one of the first railroads to link the north to the south. In the 19th century New Orleans was a very important port that many railroads were trying to connect to (I believe if you search for a back copy of Trains Magazine's August 2002 edition you will find a very good article on New Orleans and one of our sometimes opponent in RT2 Collis Huntington and the Texas & Pacific).

The 19th century also saw my hometown of Chicago grow into what is the largest railroad hub in the world. The city was growing by leaps and bounds and it needed an outlet for all of the goods it was producing.

All of this was put together by a railroad that took advantage of a land grant from the federal government (becoming the first railroad to obtain land in this manner).

Your job will be much like the IC's - start is southern Illinois and connect two of largest centers of industrial activity in the US - Chicago & New Orleans.

Your goals:

BRONZE - Connect Cairo to Chicago & have a PNW of 5mil.

SILVER - Also connect to Des Moines & generate 1mil or more in lifetime industry profits.

GOLD - Finally, connect Chicago to New Orleans and haul 50 loads between the two & be debt free (pay off those bonds!)

I hope you enjoy this map.  I think this game will be hard for beginners but somewhat easy for experts.

Please email me at moosejaw@comcast.net if you have comments, questions, etc...

MoMA.zip

This is a map I created a few years ago that may have "disappeared" on this site (although it is site at Hawk's site).  I am reposting it here (and I hope Hawk will post it at his place as well) because I made one crucial change - you will no longer be forced to start in Cairo, but you will still have to connect that town to Chicago as one of  the goals.

The read me file is in .rtf format. Is that okay?

Here are it's contents:

The Mainline of Mid-America is a map I created using Steve Lorenz' old blank map "Chicago to New Orleans". The map features the Illinois Central railroad due to it being one of the first railroads to link the north to the south. In the 19th century New Orleans was a very important port that many railroads were trying to connect to (I believe if you search for a back copy of Trains Magazine's August 2002 edition you will find a very good article on New Orleans and one of our sometimes opponent in RT2 Collis Huntington and the Texas & Pacific).

The 19th century also saw my hometown of Chicago grow into what is the largest railroad hub in the world. The city was growing by leaps and bounds and it needed an outlet for all of the goods it was producing.

All of this was put together by a railroad that took advantage of a land grant from the federal government (becoming the first railroad to obtain land in this manner).

Your job will be much like the IC's - start is southern Illinois and connect two of largest centers of industrial activity in the US - Chicago & New Orleans.

Your goals:

BRONZE - Connect Cairo to Chicago & have a PNW of 5mil.

SILVER - Also connect to Des Moines & generate 1mil or more in lifetime industry profits.

GOLD - Finally, connect Chicago to New Orleans and haul 50 loads between the two & be debt free (pay off those bonds!)

I hope you enjoy this map.  I think this game will be hard for beginners but somewhat easy for experts.

Please email me at moosejaw@comcast.net if you have comments, questions, etc...

Interesting -- It appears that the IC penetrated into the Old South before southern rails capitulated to standard gauge. There are probably stories about IC's inability to join directly with any other rails in the region (or the inadequacies of dual-rail).

See http://www.americanheritage.com/articles/magazine/it/1993/3/1993_3_54.shtml

BTW, I own exactly two issues of Trains magazine... September and November 1950. The November issue is a special prize because it's the 10th anniversary issue reviewing the entire 1940-1950 decade.

It's interesting that I read a story about Huntington not allowing the Texas & Pacific to reach New Orleans, but every place I look on the internet mentions no such story.

I thought that would be a great map - Huntington controlling the SP and you the player running the T&P. You would either have to reach New Orleans before they did or you would have to reach NO before they reach El Paso.

You might look here to see if your original MoMA map turns up.  The Terminal did have a problem some time ago.  I thought Jessie was able to recover everything except the post counts.  What did you call that early Map?

http://theterminal.dune2k.com/forum/index.php?action=search2

---------------That didn't work.  So, just do an advance search for "map"  and put by "superchief"

You will get a whole list of hits.

It dawned on me that I didn't have to load the map up in the game to get the screen-shots so I went a head and got it updated.

http://hawkdawg.com/rrt/rrt2/rt2_north-america.htm

The name of the zip file on my site was Mainline_of_Mid-America.zip so I changed the name of the new one to it so I wouldn't have to edit the download counter script.

The date I have on my computer as to when I originally downloaded that map was Jan. 6, 2008 - almost 3 years to the day.  ;)

Updating this map actually helped me. I caught a few errors I had for the Africa section links on most of the other pages, so I got that fixed - so I guess a big 'Thank You' goes out to you for helping me.  ;D

• 5 months later...