Single Track vs double Track not to mention Bridges?

bill2759

OK! Its quite obvious that Double track doesn't impede Train movement but, whats the difference if I use Steel bridges (they're cheaper) rather than concrete bridges? Same, same, No?

Old Bill. ??? ::) :P

P.S. I guess I did have a Glitch in my old version of RRTycoon II. With the new Platinum Edition, I got Gold on my first try with the Dilemma Down Under. See previous Post  ;) :D ;D

Bill:

The expensive concrete bridges do not slow your trains down.  The mid priced steel bridges (available 1880) do slow your trains down.  The wooden trestles (cannot be double track) slow your trains down quite a bit.  If you hover your mouse over the bridges on the track construction screen, you'll get told how much the slow down effect is.

If you can afford it, double track everything that has more than about 2 trains on it, and use the concrete bridges.

That said, I usually use the steel bridges because they look nicer, and with fast trains (post 1920 or so), the decrease in speed isn't all that bad.

Rob

I use steel bridges for the same reason.

With double track there is only a slight slow down on a steel bridge.

Where there are lots of trains I will sometimes use a double track cement bridge.

Double track is the main key to fast delivery.  If a train slows down it takes a relatively long time for the train to regain a top speed.  Same for curves.

• 5 months later...
  • 8 months later...

You should double-track most of the time, but there are times to single-track, which will save you money in building and maintenance.

1. A spur that's only ever going to see one train at any one time. This could be a single train assigned to it or multiple trains that have enough cargo to carry over a long enough distance that they never meet in this area.

2. A shortcut-line that will only ever be traveled in one direction. Be careful with this, because shortcut-lines occasionally get used in ways you don't intend.

3. When you're so strapped for cash that you simply can't afford double-tracking. Generally this can happen early in the scenario when you're overreaching a little, trying to link up cities that either you shouldn't be worrying about so soon or you have no real choice because of the way the map is.

4. If you're feeling tricky, circumstances may arise where you can build a single-track loop and then run trains only in the one direction.

You can find these tips and more on my handy-dandy RT2 strategy guide, located at http://rt2p.mopjockey.com. I do occasionally update or adjust it.

Lately I have been using AI single track to deliver low value cargo a short distance from an AI supply station normally picking up one type of cargo and delivering it to one of my small stations where the cargo is in demand.  The AI uses one locomotive on its' two station line. 

I will normally build a large station with double track in the same demand station city for my track.  But, the AI is not connected to my station.    I pickup the higher value cargo produced from the AI cargo at my larger station.

This is how it was done so often in real life railroading.

I never give the AI any cargo to haul back, not even a caboose.

If possible I will add a second AI station for haul back cargo.

Example:

Haul cattle to a meat plant.

Then run empty to pick up grain.

Haul grain to the cattle yards.

Using haul back cargo it is possible to build a circle of single track

where more than one train can be used, one following another.

• 3 months later...

I have no idea how you manage to do this. If I'm not directly in control of a railroad, the AI mucks about with the consists of the cars. If, while I'm wrecking the enemy railroads, I unpause, the AI that takes over my railroad while I'm gone will screw up my routes. And even if I take over an enemy railroad to fix a problem with it and make it run more efficiently, the AI player still screws it up the second I leave back to my railroad.

So could you please explain to me what I'm not getting? Are you buying their railroads? Because that doesn't make sense that you'd run those parts unefficiently and waste your money. And if you're taking them over for a moment, as soon as you leave the routes get changed. It really seems to be to be a helluva lot more efficient to just wipe them out and destroy all their track and just build your own, much more intelligently laid track.

You are correct that the AI can muck up the AI operation.  To control this:

I take control with 51% of the AI stock when the AI first starts up. 

On pause, I sell some of the AI bonds, then have the AI buy back all unsold stock. 

I may also sell some of my AI stock and have the AI buy it back.  I always keep 51% of the total shares.

This keeps the AI chairman from becoming too wealthy, so he doesn't restart another AI, and own all the stock.

With the money I have left I build the AI a one cargo supply station with track to one of my Railroad's stations that demands that cargo.  If possible I don't connect the AI to my rail unless the AI is drop shipping the cargo.  It works best when the second demand station does not belong to the same RR Company supplying the cargo.  On the return haul, I never give the AI train any cargo, not even a caboose for the return haul to its' supply station.  I think of the train as hauling empty cars back.  There needs to be enough locos to keep the supply station clean of waiting cargo.  Then the AI will seldom change the cargo.

If the AI still has money left I may do the above again. 

Even when there are more than one supply cargo at an AI station,  both cargos can go to the same demand station, as one cargo may simply be dropped shipped for pick up by your trains.

Another locomotive can even haul to a different station.  You will never know which of the two different cargos the two locomotives will haul.  If the AI is drop shipping all cargo on a red flag it may not matter.

This is how most short line RRs were used in 1900.

• 3 weeks later...

In 1900 a mine at Z could sell iron ore to a steel mill at C. The BZ Short-Line Railroad would take the ore cars to B, a junction on a big railroad's line from A to C, and get paid for it (even if the big road found a way to cheat, so that the short line got less than its fair share, it must still have got something).

Question: if one company's (an AI) train red-flag-drops cargo at a station, from which a different company (yours) collects it, does the AI ever get any revenue at all, when the cargo reaches the demand station?

I know that even in the basic game (pre-TSC), you could cheat on the proportion-of-foreign-track payments by calling at an intermediate station (e.g. in the campaign map across Australia's Nullarbor Plain)

regards, Richard

Since the AIs stay profitable, I believe they are getting part of the profit.

My train's dialogs shows a split in profit.

I seldom if ever drop ship cargo that was first ship over the AIs rails.

So I can't answer that question.  I'll have to watch to see if this happens.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I played some last night.  I made it a personal goal to be the Milk and produce king on the map.

I built the RR to only meet this goal using the Economy map.

I'm now connected to about 90% of all produce and milk.  One of my AIs will haul grain to my cows.

I was close to a margin call for about 5 months at the end of the the first year.  I'm deep in debt.

I used one of my last two AIs to merge 2 other AIs to finally move me away from a margin call.

One of my early AIs had built a station at the Mexico Chemical works.  I merged him. 

So I now also haul Chemicals to Denver to make the only fertilize on the map for my produce farms. 

Trains started during the first year, will be arriving and my profits and the AIs profits will start to increase.  Tonight I'll play another year.