The original Alaska Coal mine map

Gwizz

I'm going to post the Original Alaska Coal Mine Map. 

This map is much more of a challenge.

I was working on a game killing event:

but, Loco_motive suggested This might be too much of a killer. 

So I tamed it down and made a few other changes. 

It is a 20 day map.  It was a 15 day map.

Some of the other orginal events were changed to shells of what they were planned to be.  But, Generally the map plays about the same.

I'm starting the test on this maps 6th day and everything is working, so it should be ready soon.  Still 15 map days to go.

This map is ready.  Called Alaska Coal Mine II

It is this time very challenging. 

It is back to being a 15 day map with a faster pace.

I reduced goal amounts for the lesser number of days but added back lumber for use in the mine.   It should keep you buzy right up to the end. Conjestion at the Coal Docks will be a challenge since lumber now come through this port along with Goods (equipment for the mine) and miners going and coming to the ports to cross the river and work in the mine.

Alaska_Coal_Mine_II.zip

This version II, more like the original map, is a tough map to win Gold on.  On my last play through I knew Gold was lost, so I put the game on fast forward and let it run.  I did win bronze.  Before, when I tested it, I used the cheat code for extra money so I wasn't sure just how hard the map would be.  Now I know it is hard. The map keeps you busy right to the end.   

I finished play for fun on this version II of the Alaska Coal Mine Map. I got silver.  Still had 2.5 million in debt that I was unable to pay off.  I had a number of breakdowns in key places;  One was in the main tunnel.  I was able to build around a couple.  Since breakdowns only last a few hours, it wasn't worth spending money on building shu-flys.

Maybe someone else will win the gold.  I have chores to do now.

Just thought you might want to know that it is doable.

Plays very much the same as the other one but yet very different. But even with a strategy that I had to reverse mid-game and a strategy that on second thought might have hurt more than it helped, I managed a gold on Expert that triggered at 10:00 AM on the 14th.

Running 37 trains on the east side and 10 trains on the west side. with one crash on the 9th. Delivery count was 226 goods, 202 timber, 227 coal and 212 miners, running 4 logging camps, 4 iron mines and 11 of the 13 coal mines on 612 sections of track. Final cash was a paltry $4213K.

Attached is a jpeg of my final setup of the dock area. It may be a bit of a spoiler.

post-30-13030715861616_thumb.jpg

I have been running about 60 locomotives with 3 stations on both sides of the river.

By connecting all coal pockets I was increasing congestion at the stations.

Thanks for the report.  I'll have another go at it.

• 5 years later...

Good one! At least it's getting some interest.

I have a question, does anyone know what loco_motive was doing with his little stations really close together and not serving any industries on his screenshot?

I have only tried the second map so here goes on the original. I had assumed the second superseded the first.

Gwizz, do you know about the map "Wellsville, Addison and Galeton 2"? Is there or was there ever a thread on it? It seemed like a real challenge, and I liked the goal of simply making a small profit. Any news would be good. It is in the download section here.

Loco_motive has a knack for running fewer trains to make more money.   

I use more stations for routing, to store Cars,  to earn more money by not reducing cargo value by using more than one station and then to simply reduce congestion.

Give me a few days and I will make a classifation yard for this map, If I remember how.   :blush: 

This morning The Terminal was down.  Not sure why.  Jessie must be doing something interesting to the site.

I used the time to make a simple classification yard,  then found because I use a minimum of MS software I don't have MS Paint to capture the print screen view. 

I down loaded a couple of free programs to do this.   Anyone have a good yet simple program to capture print screen views that you like? 

Have you heard of the image viewer program Irfanview? With it you can paste a print screen in and save it as a jpeg file. I love this program for images. It is simple, well-written and very functional.

I got gold again on the second version. Oddly enough, it was coal hauls that I waited the last 1 and a half days for. What do you know about the economic state while in a daily map? It seems that this map likes to be in a recession but sometimes will spawn in normal and then switch to recession later without a newsletter.

• 1 month later...

I have a question, does anyone know what loco_motive was doing with his little stations really close together and not serving any industries on his screenshot?

I'm guessing I probably used them to relay coal from one train to another, but in pairs? Who knows?

Once in a great while, it sort of makes sense to exploit "station warp" as a track-leveling device where other limitations/rules prevent the usual cross-wise leveling. Could that have been the purpose for seemingly unused stations?

It can also happen that resources pop into and out of existence, leaving small stations in their wake.

Thanks for replying. I am always curious to try to add to my knowledge of the game, and that also includes the way others play.

Those two little stations out on the main line right next to each other were the ones I meant. They have no industry in their radius, and if there had been one those two stations would probably only been able to serve the same one.

I also believe that the ground is a green grade at that spot. Unless, you are really picky about grades, why bother.

Was it an experiment in drop shipping?

Personally, I have never seen drop-ship "stored" cargo transferred from one to station to another, but, I must admit that I have never tried it with stations on adjacent cells.