Micro-management in RT3

Gwizz

Lately I have only played on an off for short sessions. 

I noticed that letting a day or 4 go by betweem gaming sessions, puts a lot of empty space between my memory cells.

I have been trying to play EPH's Civil War map.  The micro-management necessary to remember where I was, what cargo was where and the method I was using, is making me grow older at a faster pace.

I can pick up the game with RRT2, but not with RRT3. It seems memory is a most important part of game play even when not playing for a win.  I rarely play for a win. I just want one relaxed game over several sessions.

I think I've discovered why I don't enjoy playing RRT3 as much as like playing RRT2. My play is so relaxed that I don't keep track of the RRT3 cargo.

In RRT2 I know about where cargo will be and can just let the locos run.

In RRT3 I find myself micro-managing the arrival of each train. Bummer.

Now if I could just put both games in my black top hat and pull out one combined game, all would be well and I could finish EPH's map and a few others RRT3 maps that are less than half played. 

• 2 months later...

Hey, Gwizzz,

I wouldn't have thought a newcomer like myself would have any suggestions for a veteran player like you, but maybe I do.  :)

Personally, I really get into the micro-managing thing (actually with most games I don't, but for some reason I enjoy it with RT3).  But I share your plight, because micro-managing requires good memory, too, if not more so, in order to keep track of cargo.

So one thing I do to help my memory is give the smaller stations names to remind me what's there.  Maybe you already do this, but in case you don't perhaps this might help.

For instance, Wheaton (grain), Appleton (produce), Orville (Iron), White River (milk), Cattleton (Catalina, if it's Italy)or when there are two or more resources I use combo names like Cottonwood (cotton and logging). I add the word "city" to designate multiple resources of the same type, so if there are two grain farms together I will call it Grane City.  This helps me later when I assign new consists and routes.  I only do this for the smaller stops but it's enough to free my memory for the remaining larger cities so when I come back to the game a day or two later I seem to pick it right up.

If you or others already use this approach I would be curious to hear some town names that y'all use.  :)

Rikki

I rename my micromanaged trains. Usually just the name of the cargo in all caps, so that if I take over another company then return with all the prioritization lost, I know how to reprogram the priority status. As for my hub and spoke trains, I just let them run.

Sometimes have a third type of train, one that I use very rarely, is one that I am continually reprogramming. These will run around the map hauling cargos that are needed here or there in the short term. They are used to prime exchange ports, correct supply / demand imbalances, or make very lucrative but small hauls. They will also be renamed, and will be the highest performing trains available. They are micromanaged station by station, and may never repeat a route.

I don't have a problem with suggestions that may help me or others with this game.

I do rename my stations with the demand industries present. I shorten the station and industry names, Tex, Alum, etc.  Then add a + sign between each name w/no spaces.

I don't rename my trains except for express trains.  I'll have to try doing so.

I'm planning to work on one of my RT3 maps.  I might even finish it.  :P

Yeah, at some point I'll probably resort to a more concise naming code like you are using. (I'm still in the honeymoon phase with the game so I enjoy the creative expression right now.)  :)

I used to name my trains for their cargo but have fallen out of the habit.  I don't seem to have a problem locating the one I need.

Rikki

Rikki, seems to me that your coding method is somewhat concise and may well be of benefit to another player.

When we were beta testing RT3 I seem to remember something about moving trains around on the train list so that similar types could be put together. I've never tried to do this.  I'm not even sure it made the cut at the end.  It may have been only a discussion item. But I wouldn't be suprised to find coding for doing this.

I was wondering how many players code their game map saves.

I label the saves starting with "99 heartland 192001" for Jan. The next save will be 99 Heartland 192001a or 192002 for Feb. or later, Depending upon how often I save a played game map.

When I fill the visable page of saves I don't scroll.  Instead I change the 99 Heartland xxxxxx to 98 Heartland xxxxxx.  This puts the newly named saved map at the top of the list and pushes down the 99 named saved maps.

• 2 weeks later...

I think it depends on the map whether I rename the stations or not, sometimes I do rename them with "city" - farms, or - mines or - coal. I tend to memorize the geography so it's easier for me to remember them by city.

I don't really save my games all that much. When I spawn a map and I really like it, I save it right away as #1 before I do anything, then I try different starts, and decide by the 3rd year if I will or will not start over. If I get halfway through the game, I save #2, butusually that is because I went to bed, or I want to take a risk. Rarely do I save more than that.