Introducing myself

Just a short note to say hello to all. It's great to see that some people are still playing RT2!

I've been playing RT2 for years, and upgraded to the platinum version about two years ago. I finally got brave enough to make my own maps in 2004, and found this site because I was curious to see if there were any other good user-created maps out there for me to try.

I prefer to play the game without competition from computer players. So I edit the scenarios to remove the computer players and then save them as "Alternate" whatever.

I do not play for "victories," but just for the fun of operating a railroad. The sandbox capability is nice, but I prefer to keep track of finances and turn a profit. I also like to purchase industries along my various routes. For those reasons, I rarely play in sandbox mode.

I have not looked into RT3 yet because I have an older computer. But I've read some things about that game, and it may be that I will remain an RT2 player because some of the changes made for RT3 were not things that I prefer.

I love RT2 and am happy that I found this site. Nice to meet you all!

Cheers!

I change most maps I play.  I add a "2" behind the name to keep the new map next to the original in the list of maps.

I seldon play for a win. But, I tend to add more AI companies.  Then, when I can afford to control an AI's stock, I take control on pause and route the AIs trains to drop ship cargo to my rail line.  I then max out the AI's bonds and use this bond money to buyback the AIs stock to inflate the price of the stock.  This  allows me to sell some of that AI's stock at a profit to regain some of my investment.  I then unpause and at the end of the year the stock splits and I gain again.

Glad you found us.  I like RRT2 as much as RRT3.  Maybe RRT2 more.

I have both RT2 and RT3.  I bought RT3 as soon as it came out and regretted it so I now only play RT2.  It's much more fun than RT3.

I tend to create scenarios that make me happy.  They are almost all Central Pennsylvania maps.  There are many easy ways to beat them (or so other have shown me) which just shows that I am more of a map maker than a scenario designer.

In the end, do what makes you happiest with the game.    :)

--Ray.

I never had a train set while growing up, but a couple of my classmates did. Now, as I enter middle age, RT2 is a perfect chance for me to catch up on the thrill of running a railroad.

I enjoy maps from many parts of the world, and I enjoy moving a mix of passengers and cargo. On this site I've already found several that I enjoy quite a lot, such as the Ukraine one and the Wales one.

Antonin, glad you decided to join in.

As yourself I also had to do without a model train set and had to make due with a few opportunities with a friends set.  :'( Once I was able to afford my own I just started collecting and except for a few very modest tries never did manage to build a model layout mostly because of space requirements.  :( Then I started to have the space and RT1 and later RT2 happened and that was able to quench my railroading desire. ;D So now I have an impressive Marklin collection and feel that perhaps retirement is the best time to start a layout.  :D Frankly I doubt that I ever will get it done since I feel that I do not have the knack for creating scenery.  ???

Unlike you however, I do like playing maps for

JSS,

You should work with someone who likes to do the scenery part.  Maybe join a modelling club.

I'm basically doing the same.....just collecting models.  My problem is that I have too many hobbies.......Commodore 8 bit computrers, PCs, D&D and I'm married too!  Mowing the lawn comes in there somewhere.  :)

--Ray.

So now I have an impressive Marklin collection and feel that perhaps retirement is the best time to start a layout.  :D Frankly I doubt that I ever will get it done since I feel that I do not have the knack for creating scenery.  ???