Little Flags

I also am having a bit of trouble with the little green, yellow and red flags that control which cargos are dropped at a given station.  I must say that I am a scientist by training and have tried every option that I can think of in order to lessen the inconvenience to you.

Here is the scenario - I wish to pick up three cars of iron a Station A and then add two cars of coal at Station B while retaining the iron cars for a total of five cars.

I have tried all combinations of the flags at both stations, but the train drops the iron at Station B.  I was reading the manual last night and there is a provision for a station to accept all cargos, even though the payment that you get for them grows smaller as the game difficulty increases.  That said, it certainly seems apparent that the flags should allow me to achieve my goal.  Can you help?

Thanks in advance.

:P

I'm at work so I am replying from memory here......

I think that in this case you need to toogle the flags at the second station to the red flag.  I think that's the one that says leave everything on the train.

Be certain that the consist at that station still has 3 iron and 2 coal too.  I think you can switch out cars irregardless of the flags but don't hold me to this one.

--Ray.

• 1 month later...

I am also at work and this is from memory.

Just leave the flag alone. At station A set your train to have 3 cars of iron. At station B set your train to have 3 cars of iron AND 2 cars of coal. Your train will leave station B with 5 cars, 3 iron and 2 coal. This assumes station B does not demand iron and few stations that supply coal will demand iron or vice versa. The readme file is a good reference for this. If station B does for some reason demand iron then it will be dropped there and nothing can be done. You would need 2 trains, one dedicated to each raw material.

From memory... the red flag means the train will only drop the cargo if it is demanded at that particular station.

The above assumes also that you are using the complex industry model. Otherwise everthing is accepted at every station.

• 3 months later...

Canada try this.

1  At station A pick up the three ore cars.

2  At station B, set the flag to yellow. Set the cars to 3 ore cars plus what ever else you want to pickup from this station.

If you want to keep the originating cars on the same train you must remember to set them at station B, C, D, etc until they reach their destination.

If you leave the flags alone then the ore will be sold at station B.

If you have a red flag then they will be stored at the station, (you could use this unless you are at a very busy station).

If station B requires them, then they are sold anyway.

Am I preaching to the knowing already?

regards  Collin