5 Great Lakes Maps.

Gwizz

Some tips on the #4 Map      5 Great Lakes - Tycooning.

If you let an AI Chairman start a 2nd RR without first bankrupting him, you will likely lose the game.

If an AI Chairman gains a controlling interest in his own stocks, you will have a problem.

Even if you own controlling interest in AI stocks, an AI can issue more stocks and if there are AIs waiting with money to invest, these AIs can buy these stocks faster than you can.   

I wonder if in multi-player there would be a better chance of winning on this map.

Oh, what a challenge this would be.

I'll have to change the choice event and turn on multi-player.

But how will I event being the only surviving company.  That might not be possible.

Having one win event might not work well either.

I'll have to think on this change.

Question :  Since I have never played RRT3 in multiplayer, How does a win work?

I'll assume the first player to reach the win goals wins.

But, what if no player can reach the win goals or the game is very long?

Can the game be saved and continued later?

What if, I added an open-ended Silver or Bronze win, where the players could reach these lesser goals but the game would not end until all agreed to end it?  In this last case, If the game became too long, the player who had receined the highest earned win 1st (Bronze or Silver) would be declaired the winner by the other players because the Gold win was thought impossible for that game. 

One other thought.  Make the Gold win a given number of points.  Example: Who ever reached 100 points toward the gold win first, won.

I have thought about just making this Tycooning map easier.  But 1st I want to wait to see if anyone can win on it as it is.  I know there a few players who really like a challenging map.  That is not my style.  I enjoy the play much more than the win.

Any Ideas? 

I don't know anything about making maps, but I know the existing (official) multiplayer maps very well. Most of them has a goal like be the best one regarding goal X in Y years (e.g. highest industry earnings, player net worth). So it seems like for your map it seems sensible to have the highest net worth. It is possible to set a specific goal, and if noone reaches it in X years, another goal will be decisive, or even everyone will lose. How many years needed to do this would be up to you, but most of the maps last for 20 years (those who do not have a specific goal). There's no Silver or Bronze in MP, you win or lose!:)

Another thing you'll have to consider (I feel I've given you a lot of work with this;)) is how many players in total you feel is necessary. I don't like to have to many AI's when I play multiplayer, they have a very... Artificial way of playing! But since you made it for 8 players in total, I guess some AI's are needed. I'll download the maps and try them with single player too.

I will be happy to test the MP maps when they finish!

Oh, and do try multiplayer, will you? It's really fun!:)

When I looked at the eventing for a multi-player game, other than checking that the map will be multi-player,  There seemed to be no difference in the eventing.  Thus my questions.

I don't have a Silver or a Bronze win for this map so that problem is solved.

I do have one player and 7 AIs with the goal being to be the only surviving company. It could be impossible to merge 7 companies, even more so if some were live players.

I'll assume that in multi-player if 4 real players were playing the game then each would take one of the companies.

That would leave 4 AI players If I understand correctly.  Can there even be AI players in multi-player.

Four players should be able to merge the 4 remaining AI companies; But, would it be possible for one player to merge the 3 other players?  That would be one heck of a challenge.  Maybe to much of a challenge.

I looked at a point system where each player would have 9 ways to earn points toward a win.  A merge would earn the most points.  This way there could be a winner even if no merges took place and each player could earn points in a different way depending upon where on the map the company built track. (Not all building spots would be equal since the map is somewhat historial in supply placement)

The problems I've run into so far is how to event a merge, etc. for points and then give those points to the player making the merge.  RRT3 has simplified eventing so much that it is much harder to build work-a-rounds.

Here is the multi-player map. 

I've never played multi=player nor do I know how to test this map.

Let me know if it has any problems.

Simple goal:  Be the only surviving company[attachment deleted by admin]

Took control of all rail on the tycooning III map in just under 5 years.

Played while waiting for 8 year minimum time period, so it could fire the win.

Lost control of all rails during the 6th year when two AIs re-started new companies.

Whoever downloaded the 5 Great Lakes - Multiplayer Map, let me know if it works.

I don't play multi-player games, nor have I ever made a multi-played map before.

I wasn't sure if I did the events correctly and the manuel was no help.  I have no way to test it without starting a multi-player game.

I would like to move this map from the forum to give more space for others to upload their maps.

I need to know if I should dump it, Or, if it does work OK, if I can move it to the map pages.

Finished the Tycooning map last night. Took the cash offered and bought all the shares in my own company plus 95% of those in the only two profitable competitors. Played "sensibly" - ie only tried to take over another company when I was near enough to connect and use their trains far more profitably than they did with the result that one profitable AI got beyond my cash resources - and others restarted. I must have taken over some 15 companies before I got gold needing to wait for a recession to lower the value of the last AI so that I could afford to buy it with 20 bonds and no premium paid in 1954.

This left me with a PNW of $49m and a CBV of only $33m - boy did I have a lot of cash - and, whilst I was checking this out, another unprofitable AI had started up! Enjoyed playing it a lot  :D :D

Thanks for the comments.  I wish more players would comment, good or bad.  It helps to know what people like.

I normally 1st build a map for my own enjoyment then adapt it to what I think others might enjoy.

So comments are important.

• 3 months later...