Whats working for me

Guest Tallica1

Guest Tallica1

For campaign play...

What seems to be working for me is the following... I first get my base going by building the following in this order... wind trap, refinery (which I keep upgrading until I have 3 pads), barracks(I don't upgrade), factory (which I upgrade), more windtraps, maybe a gun turret, and a flame turret. I build 3 missle launchers, an inkvine catapault, and possibly a flame tank and buzz saws if they are sending lots of infantry. In the periods when I don't have very much money I build base defense walls to channel the enemy forces to where I have all my base defense and units. I cover entries that I don't want enemy units to be able to get through and I make the space where the enemy units can get into my base small so they come in one at a time. I set up all base defense and ground units where that single point of entry is. I make my rocket launchers a team, and my infantry killing units (flame tanks and buzz saws a team). I leave the inkvine catapaults right by my gun turrets so they will shoot at any enemy units that have long range. When an enemy unit does enter that is out of range of my turrets I select the rocket launcher team to destroy it if it is a tank, and I send my infantry killing units if it is infantry. Once my base has about 4-5 missle launchers, 2 inkvine catapaults, and some buzz saws and flame tanks, and three gun turrets and maybe a flame turret protecting it, I build a hangar. I upgrade the hangar and begin building gun ships. In this time I also keep building missle launchers. Once I get 6-8 gun ships I send one of them over to scout the map and find a good way to attack the enemy base (i.e where there is not many turrets or AA units). Then I send in the gun ships and take out there construction yard. I rebuild a few of the gun ships that I lose, and then reattack this time taking out there factory. I then attack there starport. Now, they are crippled. I keep sending air attacks until all there buildings are gone. I rarely send ground units to attack there base, I use them primarily for defense of my base. This strategy works pretty well, but if anyone has any suggestions or strategies of there own (which they wish to share), I'd like to hear them.

Guest Tallica1

Well if they send a huge flood of guys right at the start, I just hope the units that I have and turrets I have can defend the base. But once established, they can send whatever they want. Missle tanks will take care of any other tanks very quickly and the flame tanks, catapaults and buzz saws handle the infantry. The biggest problem I have, is I don't seem to be able to allocate enough funds or units to guard my harvestors. When you send the units into open territory its very risky and you don't have the advantage of using your base (walls and turrets) to help you defend. Anyone have any good tricks on how to protect harvesters, because each mission I probably loose three or so at least?

Guest Tallica1

I'm not claiming to be some Dune mastermind here, I only started playing a little while ago. I was more looking for other strategies, or ways to improve my own strategy. I know there has to be better ways of playing... its just this is the quickest and easiest way I've found to beat levels, I just want some ideas...

What you could do is once you established radar, constantly look at the enemy's army and if they look like they are going after you or harvesters, keep the harvesters in your base which should be defended enough as you said. But don't keep them in too long or you'll run out of money faster than you could say Aw crap.

I know what you mean MoiDib. I once nearly lost a skirmish as the Harks like that. I eventually defeated the enemy but it took me 3 death hands, some gunships, and a lot of luck with the AI being dumb. Ended up finding a crate that stealthed my devestator to...probably the only reason I won after losing my harvestors.

• 3 weeks later...
Guest Ordos_Yogurt

Your strategy IS good, but don't you think creating another refinery or two, upgraded would be a good idea? constant cash flow $$$

Also build two more factories and barracks, upgrade them, build troopers and flamers. If your opponent sees that you are using only vehicles, he will send anti vehicle things, which totally blow against infantry. keep scouts at every entrance, since apcs could be a pain early in the game. It is usually most likely packed with engeneers. Stealthed units are a big pain. Keep about three devastators in the base, which are good against verything. (keeping in mind you downloaded v.08 patch)