Super Mario 64

Mahdi

I downloaded this yesterday onto my wii and I have to say I'm disappointed.  I get that this game is old but the controls are incredibly bad.  I can barely control where Mario is going and what he is doing.  The camera is similarly awful.  I'm thinking that this game is loved more out of nostalgia than merit.  There are at least three stars that I haven't got because I don't have the necessary control over Mario or the camera.  I can't even get the camera to look up at the sun in the main room to unlock the wing cap.

Did anyone here play this game ten years ago?  Has anyone played it again more recently?  Could it be a problem with the port over to the Wii that is causing these difficulties, or have they always been there?

From what I recall, Super Mario 64 was never the "best game ever" that a lot of people made it out to be.  It might certainly be the best Mario game ever, but I've not played Galaxy, so I can't really comment.

I do remember the controls being a little silly, what with Mario being prone to continuing movement due to momentum alone.  It made turning a bit of a chore, but it was always a "feature" as opposed to a flaw.  I think it's more due to newer games not having this same looseness of controls that you're having difficulty.  The Mario 64 controls were made with the N64 controller in mind.  If you're using the Classic Controller for the Wii, then that's about the closest you'll get to the same thing.  Again, not sure if the game can be played with them, but using the Nunchuck and Wiimote is a bad idea.

Never had any issue with looking up at the sun in the entry hall.  I think that might be due to configuration issues with the nunchuck, if you're using it, or the analog stick on the classic controller.  Had to stand a little bit back from the centre (i.e. towards the door) to get the angle right, but otherwise it should be straightforward.

Tempted to get the game on the Wii now, just to see if it's really gone to pot.