d2k online - Gameranger...other

applejack

How about the official servers? They still work you know. They've been taken over by the C&C community. All you need to do is log in with the nickname you want and a password of exactly 8 characters, and (if the nickname isn't taken) you're registered.

well  westwood online is still online but  we have replaced westwood online server with xwis server and there they all works with no problem  since  XWIS  you can put any name and password.

for westwood online you can set  trike password  is password  it must works because i went up and down and it worked.  same as atreides and ordosbest

Thanks.  If you and others can log in and play, it has to be some

configuration/setting issue on my end.  I'm able to play red alert

online...but not dune2000

Here are the steps I'm going throug to login:

(1)  Launch d2k 8bit

(2)  Multiplayer

(3)  Internet

(4)  No to registering

(5)  Enter user id and pw, click Connect

It takes anywhere from 30s to over a minute and comes back w/invalid

id/pw error.

I'll keep trying.

Thanks for all the suggestions.

Did you use compatibility mode? On my PC, it crashed when connecting, and I fixed it by running the game in Win98 compatibility mode.

Also, did you ever use any connector tools? I know that in times long past, people needed to use an xwisc.exe tool to connect to the unofficial XWis servers (nowadays that's not necessary since EA granted Xwis the use of the original server names). This tool worked by editing the Hosts file (text file without extension, located in C:Windowssystem32driversetc)

Drag the file into notepad and remove any Westwood sites mentioned in it.

Your right, I had, in response to reading some older postings, updated the Host file

with Westwood server info.  Now deleting that, I am able connect.  However

the game crashes almost immediately, though I did capture a screen shot (attached).

Now focusing on compatability mode.  Windows 98 mode, just causes the screen

to skip/stutter constantly.  I've tried all the modes, but none seem to solve the crashing

phenomena.

I'm using Vista.  will keep trying.

post-6166-12833240000564_thumb.jpg

Your right, I had, in response to reading some older postings, updated the Host file

with Westwood server info.  Now deleting that, I am able connect.  However

the game crashes almost immediately, though I did capture a screen shot (attached).

Now focusing on compatability mode.  Windows 98 mode, just causes the screen

to skip/stutter constantly.  I've tried all the modes, but none seem to solve the crashing

phenomena.

I'm using Vista.  will keep trying.

try 95 then

for vista  i have no any errors. i can get to  westwood online.  but  error is caused by registry 

how?

simply i installed  few westwood games.  red alert 2 , emperor bfd,    cnc generals.    the last install was cnc generals. i  could get online on generals but not anymore for ra2 and dune why?  because  priority issue.  dune and ra2 has been set away  . i had to edit registry key and turn back changes before  installing stuff then i could use dune.

but  why its working on xp ? i dont know because on windows xp i can have multiple installed games and from each i can connect online on vista cant do it anymore. ..

you can try cheat registry by replacing  wolapi files . take these from dune put into ra2 or geenerals folder and try again

Reading these last 2 entries I tried something, since I have 2 computers to play with.

Computer 1:

- Desktop PC with Vista

- Dune 2000 installed w/1.06 Patch

- RA2 installed after d2k

Results:  Can not get to run WW online successfully, even using

the compatability options.  Either crashes w/o compatability, or

screen flickers constantly w/98 or 95 option. :-X

Computer 2:

- Thinkpad with XP Professional

- Dune 2000 installed w/1.06 Patch

- RA2 never installed

Results:  Runs on WW online with no problems.  Do not need to use

the compatability options. ;D

Both computers were wifi through common router with Upnp enabled.

I'm thinking AMIgaBot may be onto something with the registry and RA2.

How did you "edit registry key and turn back changes before installing stuff then i could use dune"

it worked. .. but  i cant use second installation of dune .. if i try it crash. primary install gives no problem i can get in get out play game  but  my isp are  so dump and its packet-lossing often so i get oos after  30minutes/1 hour of play..