Indy Jones

bob_fox

Okay, I know I always do one of these, and you guys are probably sick of it, but I just can't help myself:

Favourite Indiana Jones film?

Raiders of the Lost Ark (1981) - 94% on Rotten Tomatoes

Temple of Doom (1984) - 84%

The Last Crusade (1989) - 89%

Kingdom of the Crystal Skull (2008) - 77%

My favourite is probably Last Crusade.

Yeah the last Crusade the one with the Grail was the best one. Raiders of the Lost Ark was the worst of them I think. I also throughly enjoyed the temple of doom. FROZEN MONKEY BRAINS. FROZEN MONKEY BRAINS. FROZEN MONKEY BRAINS.

Yet to see the new one.

I would say the new one is worth seeing. Even though it's not nearly as good as the first three, it's true to their spirit, whatever that means.

I'm sure its rating was in the mid sixties when I first visited Rotten Tomatoes, not long after I saw the film, but now it's gone up by about 10%. Are the critics starting to appreciate it, I wonder?

The first three films are more exciting and creepy: the first and third because they're based around the Bible (the third one much less than the first), and the second one because the Thuggee were a very curious and nasty bunch (though heavily villainised in the film, of course). The fourth film doesn't have any particularly unusual features, and that's one main reason why it's inferior, in my opinion.

I've seen TOD recently on DVD. Very spooky, much more so than the others; has a bunch of Kali worshipping Thuggee pulling people's hearts out (I read it was banned for a while in India). I would say it's the worst of the classic trilogy, and I think most agree with me. I also thought the way the villain died was a bit anticlimactic.

Yeah, that scene in Raiders really scared me when I was younger - with their eyes leaking on to their faces and all that. I wonder if it would look better with CGI? Probably would, but it wouldn't be as spooky somehow.