Viva la Vida

bob_fox

I've just ordered Viva la Vida or Death and All His Friends by Coldplay, and I'm looking forward to listening to it, especially since people say the band's tried something new with this one (X&Y was too much of the same thing, if you ask me). I've heard very little of the music - I've only listened properly to "Violet Hill," which, while being a good song, is not single material - but some of what I've heard has impressed me quite a bit.

Has anybody here listened to it? Your thoughts?

Seems no one cares for my topic, eh?

In any case, I got the album on Monday. I really like it - not as many catchy tunes as their previous two albums, but I still think the music itself is superior, and the songs aren't nearly as repetitive. Sometimes the songs are a bit too "busy," but, all things considered, I thoroughly recommend it.

I am excited about the brian eno collaboration, and coldplay can create some catchy melodies. The band just seems so unreal. A scrubbed facsimile of a harsher reality I guess. Their lyrics are usually pretty terrible, not sure if that has changed. 

I always thought their lyrics were okay - certainly not superb - but I think they've exceeded themselves with the main title track. The album is definitely more artsy fartsy than the others (not necessarily negative) - somehow reminds me of The Beatles' Sgt. Pepper's album, with all the recurring themes and what not.

But they've got themselves out of the rut they were in - I felt there was barely any feeling put into X&Y. I find it pretty unusual for them that the first track doesn't have lyrics.

Okay, guys, favourite album:

Parachutes (2000)

A Rush of Blood to the Head (2002)

X&Y (2005)

Viva la Vida or Death and All His Friends (2008)?

Somehow I can't get away from the fact that I still think their first album is the best.

Rush of Blood could easily have been their best, but they made the songs a bit too repetitive. If they had cut the length of some of the songs, it would have been one of the best albums ever released, in my opinion.

The most negative comment I have against their latest album is that it ends kind of weakly.

[hide]I also don't think an album should have more than one hidden track. (Everyone probably knows about the hidden tracks anyway, but just in case...)[/hide]