The 3d PALACE and other rumors/glitches

duner

Well, being bored and all, I wrote this list of partially confirmed dune-related rumors that appear on a number of english, french, german and italian boards:

If you know either of these to be true, and how to play to actually see them, please feel free to let avid dune 1 gamers know:

If you know other such items, be good and post 'em up.

- There is a THIRD place (aside from carthag and arakeen) -- this is perhaps the most persistent and recurring rumor. Never seen it myself, but it appears lots of people have seen this??

- along the same line of thought -- liet's seen in front of a .. castle? during the intro of the game

- 100% control of the planet actually IS possible -- anyone?

- The duke's death can be avoided

- The arakeen palace can (apparently) be captured and the game can continue

- The emperor, baron, feyd & co can be captured in a .. sietch?

- dumping all other activities (spice mining & army) and just working on ecology can lead to an alternate ending?

- related to this, ecology close to the hark palace can drive the baron away?

- there's a way you can get the emperor off your back and get him to stop asking for spice (this appears to be a glitch though)

Any thoughts?  :D

"liet's seen in front of a .. castle?"

Village.

"The arakeen palace can (apparently) be captured and the game can continue"

Yes.

"The emperor, baron, feyd & co can be captured in a .. sietch?"

In the Arrakeen Palace, converted into a sietch.

"there's a way you can get the emperor off your back and get him to stop asking for spice (this appears to be a glitch though)"

This happens when they're all in the Arrakeen Palace.

"dumping all other activities (spice mining & army) and just working on ecology can lead to an alternate ending?"

Dunno, I want to try it, now.

"related to this, ecology close to the hark palace can drive the baron away?"

It'll drive harkonnens from out of their forts, dunno about out of the palace.

"Well, being bored and all, I wrote this list of partially confirmed dune-related rumors that appear on a number of english, french, german and italian boards:"

Duner could you please post the links of these sites please?

Yeah! you won't get Duke Leto died scenario. To get this you should ignore your father request to

come to the palace when he said "something terrible has happened in

the palace". Wait until you get the Emperor's message which request

you to send him the spice and view that message. By doing so, if you

speak with your father, he won't angry and he won't plan to do a

punnitive expedition so you will save Duke Leto eventhough the game

itself actually think that Duke Leto has died. You will hear Jessica

comment which said that Duke Leto has been killed by Harkonnen when

you try to launch the final attack.

BTW.. look at this :O  Dune 2??

f_D2m_812255c.jpg

• 2 months later...

Greetings,

Being the author of the "Complete Guide to Dune I" (for the moment available only in Italian, sorry -- still working on the English translation), I think I can answer to almost all your questions.

So, let's begin:  :)

- There is a THIRD place (aside from carthag and arakeen) -- this is perhaps the most persistent and recurring rumor. Never seen it myself, but it appears lots of people have seen this??

Never heard about a third palace... The only rumor similar to this that I have reported on my guide is that perhaps (but after finishing the game for the n-th time, I'm losing hopes) there is a way to move Fremen troops to the Atreides palace, which usually they avoid. Why? If you bring Liet-Kynes to your palace (after or before the final attack to the Harkonnens), in the balcony room he will say "As you can see, these bulbs are almost ready. They only need a little more care..." which is the phrase he tells in his lab at Sihaya. So, I wondered if this was a way to make the Fremen going to he Atreides palace, and maybe turn it in a sietch just in a way similar to the Harkonnen one (see below). But actually I haven't managed to do it yet.

- along the same line of thought -- liet's seen in front of a .. castle? during the intro of the game

I believe that some strange associations character/place seen in the intro is merely a coincidence. As Nema Fakei said, the building beyond Kynes in the intro is a smugglers village, seen from one (or two? I don't remeber  :P) mouse-click distance.

- 100% control of the planet actually IS possible -- anyone?

As far as I have played Dune, I've only managed to reach 77% of land control, using ecology. Guys on this board said they reached 96% or something like that, but I stil don't know how they did it. Perhaps there is a difference between the portion of Arrakis you can control in the floppy-based version and that in the CD version (I play in particular with this last one). By the way, It should be noticed that, following the idea "sand->sietches, rock->no sietches", it's impossible to obtain the control of the entire planet.On the other hand, I recall there is a few sietch (Oxtyn and Celymin region, maybe?) which actually are located on a rocky area, and their land consist of a quite narrow sand region. Moreover, the southern regions tend to be less "populated" by sietches, so the sietches have larger territories.  Unfortunately, the radius of land control given by the ecology operations is always the same, no matter ow large is the land of the sietch, so certain zones, which are "yours" because you control the relative sietch, can't be covered by your red domain seen in the Arrakis globe. Lastly, north and south poles are not accessible in the game.

Yep, it's possible, with the procedure explained by pascal89 in the floppy-based version and in a more complicated way in the CD version (I anyway advise you not to try it in the CD version because it is likely that you will get stuck at a certain point in the game, just before the final attack).

- The arakeen palace can (apparently) be captured and the game can continue

Yes, this the second trick I discovered by playing Dune several time (the first is a trick to obtain a lot of spice in the first phase of the game, in order to have alwas something to send to the emperor). Just go to the Arrakeen palace during the final battle riding a worm (to do this, it's better to launch the attack from the nearest sietch to the palace and then quickly call a worm, before the battle finishes). Once arrived, command a "massive attack" and wait for the battle to be won. In this way, you will notice that you won't receive any vision from the Fremen naibs that tels you that the shield is down. DON'T GO into the palace now or you will see the normal ending. Wait three or four days and you will have the Harkonnen palace turned into a sietch.

- The emperor, baron, feyd & co can be captured in a .. sietch?

This is the consequence of applying the trick described above -- inside the arrakeen palace transformed in a sietch you will find the Baron, Feyd-Rautha and Shaddam, but the only thing they will continue to say is "I have nothing to say" (apart from Feyd-Rautha who initially threatens you).

- dumping all other activities (spice mining & army) and just working on ecology can lead to an alternate ending?

Converting all of your troops to ecology after transforming arrakeen palace in a sietch is the only thing you can do, but after spending 556 days on Arrakis trying to make it a green planet (by assembling a windtrap for every sietch, growing a lot of bulbs and then planting them), I have seen no results or alternate endings (maybe at day 1000 something will happen  ;D ). Moreover, once you run out of water in a sietch you can notice that the green stripes on the map disappears slowly, and you have to wait a lot of days before the windtraps are full and you can restart planting bulbs.

- related to this, ecology close to the hark palace can drive the baron away?

No, I remember that in several games I used ecology starting from Carthag-Tuono regions in order to drive away the Harkonnens in Tsympo and Arrakeen, with the Hark palace surrounded by vegetation, but the Harkonnen remained in the palace.

- there's a way you can get the emperor off your back and get him to stop asking for spice (this appears to be a glitch though)

As Nema Fakei wrote before, the only way is to conquer all the harkonnen fortresses, making the emperor to move on Arrakis.

Hope that helps ;)

Rymoah

• 2 years later...

Here is something you probably* never saw before:

conquer all the harkonnen fortresses BEFORE** you convince Chani to go with you,

then follow the story as before. Eventually you'll get to the part where your men are getting sick, and you'll leave Chani there. See the vision they are cured and go there, they will say she disappeared (or if another group is sick she will need to go there and cure them too and then disappear after the vision).

Now we all know she should be in one of the harkonnen fortresses, but there aren't any left... where is she?

She is in the harkonnen Palace!

you obviouslly can't spy to know that, but you can go and ride there with a worm to see a cutscene of Chani standing in front of the palace just before you die!

That was very cool when I saw it, unfortunately the game was pretty much stuck as I couldn't launch the final attack without Chani. I hope I made a save with that situation so I can post it.

*Maybe you did, I can't read Italian... Any chance the English version will be out soon?

** I'm not sure if it HAS to be before you take Chani with you, but it obviouslly has to happen before your men get sick, and after they are, it's getting rather hard to defeat all the remaining harkonnen fortresses without curing them first.

conquer all the harkonnen fortresses BEFORE** you convince Chani to go with you,

then follow the story as before. Eventually you'll get to the part where your men are getting sick, and you'll leave Chani there. See the vision they are cured and go there, they will say she disappeared (or if another group is sick she will need to go there and cure them too and then disappear after the vision).

Now we all know she should be in one of the harkonnen fortresses, but there aren't any left... where is she?

you obviouslly can't spy to know that, but you can go and ride there with a worm to see a cutscene of Chani standing in front of the palace just before you die!

That was very cool when I saw it, unfortunately the game was pretty much stuck as I couldn't launch the final attack without Chani. I hope I made a save with that situation so I can post it.

I remember I tried once the trick you describe, and, like you, I got stuck before the final attack. Anyway, I didn't try to see if she was in the Harkonnen palace... that's really cool :)

*Maybe you did, I can't read Italian... Any chance the English version will be out soon?

Unfortunately, I simply don't have the time right now to translate the guide in English, sorry :( Currently I'm busy in updating the website of the Cultural Association Dune Italia Recently, however, I received a mail from a guy who wants to do the translation job... He said he'll tell me when it is done ;)

Rymoah

• 11 years later...
On 9/5/2010 at 3:25 AM, BlackThorny said:

** I'm not sure if it HAS to be before you take Chani with you, but it obviouslly has to happen before your men get sick, and after they are, it's getting rather hard to defeat all the remaining harkonnen fortresses without curing them first.

I've actually finished the game without Chani being captured. Just didn't go to Oxtyn-Tabr before all the forts were mine. But in this case we skip a half of scenario.  Chani won't let you meet Kynes. She says that final attack is imminent. Nobody felt ill. Just gathering in the sietch and launching the final attack.