Spice addiction

Emperor Harkonnen

I'm pretty sure it is mentioned in the books. I forget exactly. Depends if you are talking about bene gesserit or normal people. They definitely go through withdrawal just like a drug. In God Emperor of Dune I think people went through withdrawals because the emperor was hoarding all the spice. It also provided good health and long life. Same for Heretics of Dune. Tleilaxu controlled spice production (they could create it without worms) and would not share it much with bene gesserit or others. I'm sure spice embargoes on planets would be very effective.

It would be possible to gain benefits from the spice (longer lifespan for example) without being addicted to it, as I recall. Actual addicts would go through severe withdrawal symptoms if their supply was withdrawn, and I believe in serious cases (the Bene Gesserit?) would die. Teg was not, I think, an addict.

Concerning Teg, I'm not sure but somehow I believe it is stated in Heretics that he lived to up to 300 years without consuming any melange at all. If I'm correct (which I doubt), this means that human lifespan had increased significantly ??? Those who used melange lived even longer - again I'm not sure, this might be an utter mistake :) I'll check the book as soon as I get the mood to do it.

The feelings of a Spice addict are depicted through Odrade's eyes in a chapter in Chapterhouse. Something about the "first cup of melange coffee in the morning". Again, my memory may be playing tricks on me here :)

• 4 weeks later...