France is not in decline and the last thing it needs is "reform"

I have just recently found this very informative article in the European Tribune which dispells many of the myths concerning the French economy. Essentially, the argument of the article is that the French economy is not doing any better or worse than the economies of other Western nations, particularly Britain and the US. In fact, France has achieved a considerably more egalitarian society than Britain or the US for little or no economic cost to the vast majority of its population, and calls for radical "reform" are completely unfounded.

http://www.eurotrib.com/story/2007/5/4/113029/9034

France is not in decline and the last thing it needs is "reform"

By John Evans & J

• 2 months later...
an unrealistic 35-hour working week

That says it all. Less workers creating the same value and more unemployed creating 0 money value.

We are said the magic will stop someday. On the other hand the US debt is also magic, no ? So what magic will dissipate first ? I hope none will.

That's only 5 hours a day... and 7 hours if you only go monday to friday.

How is that normal? Or is this 35 hour workweek excluding lunch/dinner/supper breaks (30 minutes each)? In order to work only 35 hour workweek you must have a really good paying job, or are a dual income couple with no children.

That's only 5 hours a day... and 7 hours if you only go monday to friday.

Ummm... isn't it normal to work monday to friday and have the weekend off? The 35-hour workweek is based on a normal five day schedule.

How is that normal? Or is this 35 hour workweek excluding lunch/dinner/supper breaks (30 minutes each)? In order to work only 35 hour workweek you must have a really good paying job, or are a dual income couple with no children.

I'm not sure exactly what the details are, but the 35-hour workweek has pretty much the same legal status in France as the 40-hour workweek has in other Western countries.

Oh ok. I know where I'm from you get 30 min lunch and supper and 10 minute break every 2 hours or so. If the 35 hour workweek does not include the time taken to eat/break, then I can see how it could work. You would be at work for say 8 hours a day, but have 1 hour lunch/supper etc.

Nono, I'm fairly sure the French 35 hours is inclusive of paid breaks. i.e. 7 hours a day of work. Remember, it's only 12.5% less than 40 hours everywhere else. That's easily recuperable if you have a slightly more equitable income divide.

To clarify some points:

• in this context unrealistic is supposed to mean too short too be economically sustainable by the employers
  • 35-hour is only a legal count, how hours are counted is sector-dependant, that means if you are a trucker and you sleep in your truck (that is your work-place) then you are not paid when sleeping,  if you are cashier with only 10mins pause per day, then chances are your pause time is paid. but actually all that is meaningless, what is meaningfull is how painfull your work charge is and how high your salary is 
  • i know people officially being paid for a 35-hours per week job but actually working more than 40-hours per week with peaks higher than 50-hours, it seems in a practically way what is legal or not has become meaningless, the business regulates the working charge, not the law

Are you guys saying that 35 hour workweek is too short or too long?

I'm guessing you mean too short, since 35 hours is not much.

Based either on debts or others' labor, in both cases the very foundation of it all seems not very worthy of those serious discussions. If this is magic, another kind of magic is needed. It doesn`t look like it'd save anyone for more than the present generation (if it even does that). And I don't need to be informed of if it is capitalist or communist.

It's the wrong debate, it's not going to save the day even if there was a correct answer.