nvidia with a fan

hi.just for my general info . what happend if u got an expensive vga with a fan..

and then due to my dusty climate the fan stoped like it did with my p4 cpu without me

knowing it.. would the vga idle it self like the p4 cpu or i will have my self a big time

bomb wasting my life time savings??? and my room security

and on the side can somone like scar for ex give me some good links to geforce 8500gt 512 mb

with good prices, i searched but i didnt find mutch !

i have my eye on this card if i was going to do any future upgreads. so i can start saving from now..

thank you for ure ever usefull help... spicy

As nVidia put temperature sensors in their graphics cards, your card would most likely be shut down if it were too hot. Maybe your computer would lock up and your display lose its signal or go black. Also, at high temperatures the card itself crashes and you return to your desktop with a message telling you the card was rebooted due to a crash. (I've had this happen to me quite a few times, as I'm an avid overclocker of everything.) It doesn't damage the card, it seems, because one of the most crashed graphics cards of mine turns four years (at least) now soon and still works like a(n overclocked) charm.

As far as I'm aware, all new nVidia Graphics Cards have a temperature monitor, which tells the GPU to slow down or even stop if it exceeds a certain temperature.  On my cards, this is 145 degrees celsius, where their normal operating temperature is between 45 and 80.

I know a friend of mine who couldn't stand the whirring noise one of the fans made on his GeForce 6600GT (something wrong with it, didn't always make so much noise).  In his attempts to fix it (read: hit it until it stops making such a noise), the fan stopped working altogether.  Even playing two copies of WoW, the card never exceeded 80 degrees (it's a 128MB card).  While running Lord of the Rings Online (much more graphically intensive) it almost reached 100, but that was it.

To put it another way, you should be fine, even if your fan conks out. :)