Dune IV

ant222

Hi, everybody!

Been a long gone since I posted here...

This time I just want to show you a Ukranian Dune clone, Dune IV, taking a look at which may be of interest for the fans of Dune-2 and whereby inspired games.

Dune IV :

http://amonit.sulfurzona.com/edune.htm

Unfortunately, the FAQ is in Russian, so should you have troubles running the game, just ask me. I'll take a look at the FAQ and try to help.

Dune IV is fully playable. The game features a much better AI than that of Dune-2, which improves the gameplay considerably. So, I think it's worth a look for both Dune-lovers and developers.

And, yes, Happy New Year!

EDIT: Well what the author did:

1. Some minor changes to the unit's parameters

2. A new (made by himself) AI that seems better than Dune_II's original.

3. New missions including those where you have to stay alive for a limited time.

The result is a totally different gameplay. I don't say the new gameplay is great. But, yeah, the fact the game's playable and it's gameplay doesn't copy that of the original Dune-2 (actually, it's very different from it) is woкth mention on its own.

In Dune IV heavy infantry is much stronger and, in first levels, the best weapon is the mighty and terrible harvester! It's the only means to hinder enemy infantry from destroying your base. And the enemy's one hell of a harvester driver too, the AI likes to crush your troopers with his harvester as well... Quite Fun. And it's a bit harder than the original Dune-2.

Hello ant222, long time no see :)

Thanks for the tip, but I guess the game's already mentioned somewhere around here in the forum...

I've played both Dune III and IV by the same author. It feels a bit unbalanced because of the strong heavy troopers in the first missions, but I must admit that the mission design is superb, bringing up the best what could be found in C&C, Dune and Craft series. There is one especially cool Ordos mission where you play disguised as Harkonnen, i.e. all units and structures have red teamcolor ;D

What disappointed me a little is that the author credited all the graphics, music etc. - everything! - to himself (that was, at least, in those versions of Dune III and IV that I have played about a year and a half ago). The guy must be quite arrogant! Arrgh! The music was written by Frank Klepacki!!! Not to mention some sounds and the cursor taken from StarCraft...

But, all in all, the game is quite good :)

Well, I never drew attention to the credits...

Posted it so you see the effect of various (easy to implement) things on the gameplay. To hint that a few smart changes can yield great improvements.

I downloaded DEMO 3 and... hmmm... OK!

But there is one question: what has been done to the GFX? It seems that part of it were interpolated to fit a higher resolution and part were re-made, pixel by pixel.

If I am right then you need pixelart masters, don't you?

Nema Fakei did most of (if not all) manually edited hi-res sprites. Some pics like large info-screen images of units and structures were simply edited in Photoshop. And I did the hi-res Mentat screens 8)

The overall work on the project has slowed down some lately, this is why I said I don't know when the next update will be.

Nema Fakei did most of (if not all) manually edited hi-res sprites. Some pics like large info-screen images of units and structures were simply edited in Photoshop. And I did the hi-res Mentat screens

So Nema does pixel art...

But, yeah, were those mentat screens worth interpolating? Maybe yes. But to me, the original low-res version (after 2x scaling with no interpolation, just doubling pixels) would have been better. I do not fear of pixels.

And what about the unit sprites? Pixel art also?

The overall work on the project has slowed down some lately, this is why I said I don't know when the next update will be.

That's never a problem for a non-commerical project...

Desire and interest are the shaker and the mover. Until they exist the game's not dead. Since it's free — it can be developed as long as the author(s) has ideas to implement — no need to hurry to finish it before the quarterly report...

• 2 weeks later...

Hello, Stefan!

If I am lucky, I'm goint to try to built my little improvement (have had a look at it?) into the game. But only after I pass the latest exam :(

No problem if you don't like it — I'll do it for my own interest.

And, in any case, I'll need your help in understanding the sources.

Why does a day only have 24 hours and not 48?

Well, Universe is not as simple as an HDD, you can't install DoubleSpace on it...

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 year later...