4.1 speakers with 5.1+ sound card

So with my new computer the motherboard has a built-in sound card that can do up to 7.1 sound. But the problem is my speakers are 4.1 and the sound card, Realtek ALC882M, doesn't seem to be able to handle that.

Does anyone know of a workaround for this? To somehow get it to recognize and play the sound properly out of all the speakers? I could just use my old sound card again or buy new speakers but thought I would see if anyone knew a workaround.

Hi gob!

There should be some kind of settings in witch you could choose how many speakers to use. Look  at the attach.I know it`s in Danish but look up to the left ,zoom in and you see I have the choise of 2-4  or 6 speakers.

cybo

post-1782-12833239454622_thumb.jpg

O Great Gob, will thoust forgive me for quoting myself ?

Control Panel > Sounds and Audio Devices (Classic View) then click the Advanced button at the bottom. Does it show 5.1 also ?

Probably in the same location for you you should be able to select the setup you want. But you may well have already tried that.

nice to have learned you some Danish/Norwegian. hehe

I have tho a seperate program for the settings og the speakers.

sound storm from Nvidia.I get it from start>all programs>Nvidia programs >sound storm.

there should be some software for the sound card or ?

cybo

Well the problem is that the sound card itself has different inputs.

The old card that handled 4.1 fine had a versa jack, mic in, line in, front out, and rear out. So in my old computer I used the two outs and the versa jack and the sound card software was able to figure things out.

The new card doesn't seem to have an option for 4.1 though. The speakers I have Altec Lansing ACS56 have 3 outs. Digital Out, Front Out, and Surround Out. Even the Windows option doesn't have a "4.1" setup, ie four speakers and a sub.

The problem is the new sound card software doesn't have options to match the the speaker inputs. So right now all four speakers are "front" and the sub doesn't work. I'm thinking it isn't possible to do unless I put my old sound card in.

Here is the config screen if it helps. I don't have the Nvidia one btw. Also attached the options I can choose for what each jack does.

post-1-1283323945575_thumb.png

post-1-12833239456521_thumb.png

5 should be reduced to 4, so one of the normal surround speakers should be removed. Of course, that more then likely messes up all the sound calculations done to make surround sound work, so I doubt it would work, but you take out one of the 5 from 5.1 to make 4.1 8).

Well the problem isn't the number of speakers I select but what I am telling the hardware each of jacks should do. Changing the number of speakers just changes how it sounds.

For example the configuration program for the sound card has four "out" options. Line Out, Rear Out, Center/Subwoofer Out, and Side Out.

The issue being of course that my speakers have Digital Out, Front Out, and Surround Out. That doesn't really match up with the configuration problem at all.

HI Gob!

I hope you understand something of this  ::)

Try ro connect your digital out to the S/PDIF-out on Back I/O Port ( either the RCA connector or the Coaxial one.)

This motherboard provides convenient connectivity to external home theater audio systems via an optical or coaxial S/PDIF-out (SONY-PHILIPS Digital Interface) jack. It allows to transfer digital audio without converting to analog format and keeps the best signal quality.

Or you could try this:

Two analog inputs accommodate 3D positional soundcards, and a S/PDIF input for PCM digital audio playback provides crystal-clear sound quality. Use with 3D positional audio sound cards for optimal performance.Ok LOOK AT THIS:

Installation:

The ASC56 just like all other speakers I