Dune II crashes at a certain point

For some reason, my version of Dune II inexplicably crashes to the desktop everytime after I complete the first mission and invade another region. The game tells me to answer some questions to prove my allegiance or the like, and after answering the 3 questions, it just immediately crashes.

Any idea what is going on?

you might wanna call it copy protection... but it's more like "proof that you have the manual" protection. even dune 1 had this. at certain points in the game you are being asked a question which is answered in the manual. so if you own the game you can easily answer it. back then it was not like today with everybody having  internet and looking up everything anywhere on the web. nowadays it would be easy to just scan the manual and make a pdf file... but back then you had to either buy the game or copy the whole manual from a friend or just guess the right answer (which was pretty nasty in dune 1 because they asked you "on which page is the following picture" - in dune 2 the questions are more like "what armos class is this vehicle" and if you know a bit about the game you can easily guess the answer). yeah... those were the times back then  ;D

wierd thing is, I installed Dune II - The Building Of a Dynasty (and yes that last part is really significant) just after posting the previous remark, from an origional CD and didn't get any guestion. Nor can I remember any Dune game having that option in the installation or game process. Non besides the Serial Key anyway.

mine didn't have a serial key protection - just the questions inside the game.

but they weren't on cd either, good old floppy discs. as far as I can remember dune 1 was on 3 and dune 2 on 9 floppy discs.