Setting up a wireless network

Right now I'm tearing my hair out setting this wireless network up, using a Netgear wireless router (WGR614 v6). Previously, I was able to set it up and log into 192.168.1.1 and set up all of the options, and was able to create the network between this computer and three other laptops, wirelessly. However, I couldn't access the internet. I could if I plugged straight into the modem, so it must be the router, right? Well, I tried upgrading the firmware and it stopped finding 192.168.1.1 so I reset the router and worked from scratch, except now when I go through the setup, it won't even let me get to 192.168.1.1 now. Anybody have any checklist to make sure I have set/hooked up? I really can't figure this out...

I'm using WinXP, sp2 by the way, with a DSL (bellsouth) modem.

usually, reset the router. Use an ethernet cable to config the router. If you can't find the WLAN signal lower the channel preferably to under 8. And if only your computer works clone the MAC address of your computer into your router. Keep in mind that some ISP's require your computer to have a certain name to access the internet. Your router will have to have that name for "internet" to work.

That's usually all there is to it.

go to the command prompt by typing cmd in the run window and pressing enter

then type ipconfig /all

see if you get an ip-address. here you will also see the gateway, thats the router.

and as gryphon mentioned use a ethernet cable to connect and configure the router.

checklist:

* Powercable plugged in modem   (if already plugged in, plug it out and back in)

* Powercable plugged in netgear (if already plugged in, plug it out and back in)

* Networkcable to modem plugged in

* Networkcable to computer plugged in

* See if you get a networkaddress as mentioned above

- If you get one see if you can connect to the gateway

- If not type ipconfig /release, followed by ipconfig /renew

- try again to connect

When you need to give your computer a name, provided by the cableprovider,

you need to name your netgear thatway, and rename your computer.

* Configure your LAN, ip address range etc

* Configure your WAN, dynamic address, static address, just fill in the credentials which your provider told you to

* If this all works, then setup your WLAN.

* first try without encryption, if that works, enable some encryption as you like.

WPA-PSK or WEP and/or and mac address accesslist.

* Then configure your computer with wireless.

think this should do the trick..

if not, let us know..

Hey, thanks for the help. I ended up getting it to configure through what you guys said, but still no connection to the internet. I called tech support for Netgear, and the only thing they did different than what I did was change the IP range from 192.168.1.1-192.168.1.51 to 192.168.5.1-192.168.5.51 . Do you guys know the technical reason behind this or is it just part of the router/modem configuration?

It could be because your modem has also a dhcp function.

and/or the LAN-address of your modem is also in the 192.168.1.* range..

so when you change your lan to 192.168.*.* in this case 5.1-5.51 (or whatever you like between 2 and 254..)

you can route between 192.168.1.1 (modem) and 192.168.5.1 (netgear)...

else your netgear gets confused by the duplicate ip addresses (see in my paint-creation-attachment)

so making 2 different networks is easier to route, and also you can connect to your webbased-modem config, this isn't possible when you go over a router to an other device which is in the same network but also fysical in a different one... (don't get confused on that one :P)

post-4133-12833239402072_thumb.jpg