Networking two computers

I'm trying to get two computers connected, mostly to move some large files, but I'm having problems.  I ran the network setup wizard on both and set them to the same workgroup, but it's not quite working.

Computer A: This one is pretty new, good specs, uses XP professional.  It connects to a Linksys wireless G router with a wireless PCI card.  When I try view workgroup computers, it takes a very long time for anything to happen and then eventually it appears with only this computer there.

Computer B: This one is a little older, but not bad, it uses XP home.  It's connected to the same Linksys router but with a wire.  The workgroup computer screen loads faster and it shows both, but when I click on computer A it says access is denied.

A year or so ago I got them to kind of connect.  It wasn't working perfectly but I was able to send the 400 megabyte file I was trying to move.  I don't know when or why that got messed up.

create an account on both with the same username and same password. Use that to login and share files between them. Next to that you can try to disable simple file sharing on both computers. (options of Windows Explorer)

I'd really rather not create the same user account on both computers, that's going around the issue and doing something else rather than dealing with the problem I have.  I'm not quite sure what the simple file sharing option does, but it was already off.

My goal is just to have the SharedDocs folder on each computer accessible from the other, and possibly to be able to share printers.

the goal is to transfer data from one computer to the other right ?

On a network Windows logs in to the network computer with the acountdata you have used to login to your computer. As the other computer does not have a user account with that name and password you get an access denied on the other machine. I can give you about 10 settings to check or you can just create one simple user account on both computers ?

If you don't want to create the user account. Go to the local security policy editor. Enable guest account access to your computer over the network and access to shared folders. Check the shared folders that guest accounts can access and enable the guest account on both computers. Check the shared folder NTFS and Sharing rights for guest access and make sure both computers are in the same workgroup. Don't change any settings of the guest account. Not his home directory, profile or anything.

1st:

How are your ip settings configured?

Using DHCP or hard ip adresses?

Try to ping each other computer from the command console.

ping *.*.*.*

see if you get a reply...

If so

Check if on both computer the file and printer sharing is enabled

disable windows firewall for the network adapters

in windows explorer go to extra -> folder options

then point to the second tab, you see a list with checked and unchecked options.

find simple file sharing and turn it off.

now you can easily share folders and give rights to shared folders.

give your administrator accounts passwords and try to logon with them if asked, but you can also give everyone rights to the folder.

Try these options, might work, if not, come back here ;)

I used to do serial connections. It's the only way you could easy transfer 8MB files from one 286 to another :) Took forever though.

Yeah I used to play Duke Nukem 3D, Shadow Warrior and Blood I over a serial connection..

Those were times...