Basic laptop: which is ok?

A friend of mine intends to buy a laptop. His use? Word/Excel, listening music, downloading.... quite basic and no gaming. I don't know the market now, so which computer would be reliable but not have the rest he wont use? I expect that he will keep his computer for a looooong time.

To me, it looks like he could buy some old thing and see little difference.

You can hav a new whatever for $500.

For office tasks, you'd actually be more interested in the service deal than how fast the laptop is. Just make sure you get a reasonably sized harddisk.

Ok. But any specific brand, or product line, for something especially reliable and stable, "no-problem" oriented? Dell, HP, ThinkPad...?

Special case: Apple. Their last laptops are Windows compatible. In his specific case, if he intends to keep it an eternity, perhaps he'd be ready for the price tag.

Well give us an exact pricetag, or is 500 it? If you're going to do that, then go look on Ebay instead of attempting to buy a new system.

In that case, look at IBM. There are some older models, with between 512-1024 RAM and P4 2.2's around there for $190-480. The Dell ones tend to be refurbished or even brand new, so a low budget won't work.

And if you're hellbent on getting a new one (which wouldn't particuarly be wise for a lower budget) then go Dell. HP charges more (in the case of a laptop) for a lot less. For instance, their 15.1'' laptop comes out comparitively 120-200 dollars more expensive when customized, lacking the 7200 RPM drive of theĀ  Dell E105, or the ATi 256 MB graphics card (uses the mobile 7400 128 instead; 17.1'' utilizes 256 MB variant).

And about the Apple thing, not such a good idea, lol. That's only on the Intel-based systems (Windos capibility) which start at a minimum of $1,100. And that's for a 13.1'' screen. The same trend continues: Apple over-charges to the enth degree. The Macbook Pro is a 15.1'' screen, and the highest version runs off the Intel Duo 2.16 GHZ, which at 2GB 667 DDR2 and iWorks pre-installed comes out at $3,200 dollars.

I could get a 17.1'' Dell running on XP Professional which in every category would eat that alive for $500 dollars less. All to run on a shittier (sorry I use OS X daily, and it's simply an inferior product) OS.

I sent all the info I got to him and he was quite quick. All I learned in his email is that it's a new IBM. I think he went for the security of a professional-oriented laptop which you can drink coffey with and play ultimate frisbee.

Thanks to everyone :)