How well do we remember and honour May 8th/May 9th?

I decided to start this topic earlier than the actual event to remind people of it. May 8th or May 9th(For Eastern Europe) is Victory in Europe Day. It seems that we more and more tend to forget about the sacrifices the veterans made for us. Last year I atended the parade in Toronto in honour of the 60th anniversary of Victory in Europe Day. The tuen out was very small and it seemed that the organisers hopped for higher turn out too. I was also surprising to see that Dalton McGuinty, Premier of Ontario, did not bother to come to the celebrations in Ontario's capital. I know that the Ottawa and Washigton do hold events to commemeorate the WWII but what about other places?

It seems to me that the North America forgotten about the WWII. Newspapers published the articles about upcoming parade, as a short 2 paragrpah long article, that won't atract much attention. I know it has been 60 years and that it is hard to honour something that was so long ago. Even in Russia the neo nazis started to appear, who like the fact that the day gets more and more forgotten. Yet in Europe the celebrations are still held and every year the veterans from North America go there, because there they are treated as heroes.

Maybe I just feel strongly about the subject because two of my family members fought in WWII. The event could be less important to North Americans since the war took place on the soil outside the North America.

What are your thoughts on the subject?

• 1 month later...

Well... we didn't celebrate much of V-Day either... It was at TV briefly... but that was all that was mediatised.

It depends on what people what to remember. For us V-Day meant the start of communism. And it's not something we are too fond of.

Well... we didn't celebrate much of V-Day either... It was at TV briefly... but that was all that was mediatised.

It depends on what people what to remember. For us V-Day meant the start of communism. And it's not something we are too fond of.

Essentially the same. Sometimes old Russian people got and lay wreaths and pictures of Stalin(Grr...) at the Monument to Freedom, but that is pretty much it.