Problems with new Siluro MX400 drivers (Win98SE)

Yeah I've still got Win98SE, and recently I've decided to update the drivers for my ABIT Siluro MX400 graphics card. So I went to the manufacturer's official site (http://www.abit-usa.com) and downloaded the drivers package for Win9x/ME. After successfully installing the drivers on the system, I've tried to run some of the games I have (Will Rock, Alien vs. Predator and Dune 2000 to be precise), only to see the blue screen and a message like this:

Irremovable error 00 at address 0028:C023DB7F в VXD VDD (09) + 00001803. The application will be terminated.

After several attempts to run at least any game, and after 3-or-so reboots, the PC finally decided to quit, and refused to boot in any mode other than Safe Mode at all >:( So I had to uninstall the new drivers (relatively new, as they're dated by year 2004), and reset the old ones (2002).

I went to the ABIT site to get the tech support, which is only provided in a form of a forum. I've posted a message there (2 days ago), but the only answer I received as of yet, is the one saying that the card is pretty old and Win98 is even older. That much for help :(

So, maybe you can help me, fellow forumers? Although I appreciate your support in any form, I'd like to note that such solutions like "Buy a new video card", "Buy an new PC" or "Install WinXP" are not welcome.

Thank you very much in advance.

Although I appreciate your support in any form, I'd like to note that such solutions like "Buy a new video card", "Buy an new PC" or "Install WinXP" are not welcome.

actually that's the best idea, install a windows which is supported. 98 sucks anyway. it was useful by the time back then when it was released but nowadays you only got a lot of problems with drivers, some applications, hardware problems sometimes and of course the lacking support from ms which means no bugfixes, no critical security updates and no adaption to modern hard & software if there are problems. and I guess you also won't get any helpful information from abit or in the forums here just because of the fact that the os is so freaking old...

sorry I can't help you

Hmm... Maybe you can help me on this one (related to the original topic):

It appears that after installing the new drivers, something went wrong with my Starcraft. When the newest drivers were still on my system, I tried to launch Starcraft, and the game told me that it couldn't find some data file and urged to put the CD into CDROM, although it was already there.

Then the drivers screwed everything up, and I had to install the older ones, under which Starcraft ran (as well as everyhting else too). But the problem with CD not being found persisted. I tried reinstalling and patching the game, as well as checking the registry for links to nonexistent files, but nothing worked :(

When I insert the Starcraft CD into the drive, the autorun installer program works OK, but when I start the game, it claims to see no CD in the drive. Unfortunately, the game doesn't tell what exactly is the file it misses, so I don't know what to do :(

Any ideas why this happens?

EDIT: Alright, upon learning that Win98 will be discontinued this June for good, I've decided to finally install XP  ::) Thread locked.