Starting my collection

jmoussa1987

Hi guys,

I have just recently got into the Dune universe and watched the movie and read the first book. I loved it so much that i am going to continue to collect and read all the Dune novels. I am fascinated by the epicness of it all and the intriguing storylines and characters.

I have bought all the originals and have started to read part 2. I have 1 trilogy and 2 preludes. I also play dune 2000 on a regular basis.

I have seen an original 1965 Dune book on ebay, complete with hardcover and in good nick, very very rare.

http://cgi.ebay.com.au/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=8757090718&rd=1&sspagename=STRK%3AMEWA%3AIT&rd=1

I have a good collection going which i hope to read and re-read. At first i was a bit confused and overwhelmed about Dune and its complex world but i am understanding it now.I'm getting obsessive but i love it.

• 4 weeks later...

Welcome to the fold then. It's an amazing universe to get to know, isn't it?

One warning though, the first three books are very nice, but the fourth (God Emperor) is a real drag. It's part of the history, though, so if you want to get to know the Duniverse, I guess it's still a reader.

When you're done with that book, try reading the first three again. You're going to understand a lot of more of what was going on. (Such as that test Mohiam subjected Paul to in the first book.)

...the first three books are very nice, but the fourth (God Emperor) is a real drag...

I wouldn't call God Emperor a drag. My first read-through I remember was quite a shocker as I as so enamoured of the world in the first three books, and this book was a whole new world, 5000 years after Children of Dune. None of your favorite characters remain, or those that do are so much very different and evolved as to being unrecognizable. And the landscape has evolved tremendously.

I suspect someone could jump in with God Emperor as a first read, if he or she were into very complex metaphysical and political novels. I'd love to do an experiment and see what happens with someone who begins the series with God Emperor.

Definitely not a drag, but a big book nonetheless.

Someone will end up saying it anyway, so it might well be me: If you wish to go further in what Frank Herbert gets into and see more in the novels, you might wish to read Machiavelli's Prince. And depending on your enthusiasm, other things as you wish of course (TMA came up before with parallels to how Greek litterature works - perhaps "epicness" as you said).

Frank's world is ours, just studied a bit ahead of now. He was well versed in classics, among other things. Welcome around.

I wouldn't call God Emperor a drag. My first read-through I remember was quite a shocker as I as so enamoured of the world in the first three books, and this book was a whole new world, 5000 years after Children of Dune. None of your favorite characters remain, or those that do are so much very different and evolved as to being unrecognizable. And the landscape has evolved tremendously.

I meant it's tough to read. There's nothing of great importance happening, other than the end of Leto's rule. It's all an insight in Leto's personality and the Golden Path. If you ask me, Herbert could've made this chapter as short as Messiah. :P