Something to consider?

mechadragon

Okay, we are all fans of Dune here, and if you are not, well... WTF are you doing here?

Consider this, Dune 2000 is often criticized for not being exactly (or anything) like the book. And for featuring a new house that was never even as much as hinted at in the books or movie. Dune 2000 is not about Dune!!! It is about the flavor of Dune, and about the Dune universe. Part of what made Dune so great was that it had to do with more than just Arrakis and the Spice, but went into more of the elements of history, politics, and religion, just to name a few. Although putting such esoteric notions into a game wouldbe quite taxing if not impossible, more needs to be done to included such themes.

Imagine, if you will, a game in which you not only try to take over Arrakis, but to try and conquer the known universe. A game that features alot more houses, some of which you can ally with to take over other planets and increase the power of your chosen house, but with the kowledge that at some point, that ally will turn against you to try and make his house more powerful. Like the movie says, "There can be only one."

All of this with the ultimate goal of being able to get the chance to mine and conquer Arrakis.

The game would take on radical new dimensions becuase you would have to base your economy on things besides Melange, and yet, because of the nature of the Dune universe, never be able to make and economy entirly without it.

It would involve more interaction with the Spacing Guild (Imagine trying to negotiate and finance your invasion of Kiatain with the Guild!) and would force the player into more long term strategies than a simple Devestator rush.

Think what happens if you attack to many other houses to fast? They would ally against you.

I picture this being a 3D RTS but with some RPG and Sim elements. And although it may sound big, I think a game like this would be compartivly simple to produce and yet would keep manyof us going for a long time.

What do you all think of this idea? Not only conquer Dune, but the known universe in Dune III?

Poor Connor, he was a much more realistic immortal that Duncan ever was.

(Whats the problem with the 2nd movie? I thought it was the best of the 3)

Can you imagine Christopher Lambert as Hasimir Fenring with his strange new york, swedish, swiss, and every other nation in the world accent? I think he would be the ultimate actor for that part.

What would be cool is the next Dune game having mroe than just 3D RTS in it, but rather some simulation and RPG too. RPG would be like talking to other houses and stuff, its self explanitory. But sim would be like you actually flying a thopter or driving a quad and stuff like that. It may be to much of a game but it would be cool. Or have space battles but I heard they dont have that in Dune which is one thing I dont like about it. Too much limitations on war. No space battles? And those shields sound confusing too. Oh well!