Deus Ex 2: Invisible War Map Editor

Davidu

I admit the reviews have been sour, but saying a game is bad because your computer can't run it properly is hardly a good argument.  My computer can't run it at all, but if/when I get a new one, I can't wait to try out my copy.  DX1 will definately be hard to top, and frankly, I doubt DX2 has what it takes, but that hardly means it's not worth playing at all.

No, what I meant was WITH me not being able to play it very well, the story is wishy-wished, the interface is dumbed down and the gameplay is (I forget how they describe it).

I know the interface is dumbed down, because all weapons either use one of 2 types of ammo. Ammo or energy. If you've played DX1, there was 10mm, buckshot, sabot rounds, HE nades, 5.56 (or was it 7.62?), and all the darts and even more. IT was so fun to experiment!

• 3 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

I think DX:IW was one of the absolutely worst sequels ever, specially when I place Deus Ex on the top of my list of games.

The graphics were great, sure, but the game is not about graphics - it is the story, the characters, the whole world around them, RPG elements combined with FPS that made the first game so good.

As a stand alone game, just change some names and you got yourself a completely new game, but it is better than most games in comparison.

Though, I am awaiting Bioshock, a game that is supposed to be a "spiritual successor" to System Shock 2 (and developed by the same company, Irrational). I do recommend System Shock 2 for anyone who really enjoyed Deus Ex - and it is scary as hell. In Doom 3 you can actually shoot the monsters, but in System Shock 2 you can only run and use your brain. Brilliant game.

As for the topic - no, there is no editor and there will never be one, for Deus Ex: Invisible War. Most of the fan community got really pissed off, not only because they couldn't use the new DX editor, but also because they couldn't make some editing to the game itself (like making more levels, fixing bugs, and maybe even programming in skill points, and so on).

I believe the very reason for this is because DX:IW was NOT made for PC. It was in the beginning, but it then had the whole thing pointed at the X-Box. After they finished the X-Box version, they quickly ported it to PC - hence the small levels, bugs and so on.

Apparently, DX isn't "dead yet" according to Eidos. Even though both Warren Spector and Harvey Smith both left Ion Storm, there will be a Deus Ex 3 in the future. There was also rumours of a Playstation 2 exlusive Deus Ex game called "Snowblind" (or something like that) that was supposed to be a multiplayer game only. I don't know if the DX3 project was called "Snowblind" or if they are two sepparate games.

I guess it is up to the future to see.