DUNE Adventure game?

Major_Gilbear

Hey Naib, since Major_Gilbear is not responding for now, I'm taking charge of the project ;). My plan is to first make as much artwork as possible, I'm starting with all the environments. It's gonna be one hell of a job, but you gotta start somewhere! The first environment I'm building right now is the Atreides palace.

If you could do some remixes, that would be swell. Do you have a hotmail adress and MSN Messenger? That's my preferred way of communication ;). Please add me to your contacts, i'm pencilgod@hotmail.com .

• 3 weeks later...

I could come up with some ideas.

For ideas take some time to read the topics in Fanfic.

There are some great ideas there. Or at least get inspired for the characters.

About imaging ... well... I don't know.

I once tried to remake Dune1 in Half-Life but I quiiitted the project after I made some rooms. I don't know any scripting. I want to get my hands on The Elder Scrolls Construction Set, as I lost my old CD. Or the new Hammer Editor for HL2. Tell me if I can help you.

I downloaded AGS!

It's great! I took some screenshots in the HL maps I made and I already made a room with one of them and a Quit button with the textures found in Dune2000 for the button. Also I got some great cursors for the game. No characters yer. No music yet... I don't know how to get it in.... Anyway... I'm just playing around...

• 4 weeks later...

Sorry for not being around much, I'd honestly thought this had died totally.

AGS *is* a nifty bit of kit, and is dead easy to use. As with most adventure games though,  this project would need attractive art and a good story to be any good. AGS will easily let us do the rest, and for those who are a bit more skilled at coding, many cool features can be added.

The game can be Isometric, Oblique, or Overhead without any real difficulty. Some combat can be added, but I'd rather keep it as a scripted event rather than a normal action - puzzles/quests, exploration and the story are more interesting in this context.

If you wish to see what sort of *good* games AGS can make, I'd recommend: "Five Days a Stranger", "Seven Days a Skeptic" and "The Knight's Cross".

@Davidu: That room looks really good, but it could do with more things to interact with, and also being a bit sharper/in focus.

@Pencilgod: I'd love to see what sort of ideas you have for this. If you really are good at artwork and music, then we would be fortunate indeed to have your assistance!

Cool! I also discovered that you can add voices as well as text when you "speak" or click on things :P

Seriously, I recommend playing a couple of the AGS games to see what can be done - "Neverquest" has rather nifty dialogue display windows, where each person who is speaking gets their own animated window superimposed over the main screen.

Little touches like this help keep the games fresh.