Life After Chapter House?

scotsman

I have only just got into reading all the books after dune.  Watching the miniseries was about my limit up until now.  I am half way through Chapter House and have started looking for more books that takes you beyond Chapter House.  No luck!  I find out Frank

Herbert died.  Has another author taken up the challenge, the bar has been set very high for future books.

With the hundred or so pages left to go, there seems to be far to many questions and so few pages to answer them.  There needs to be more books.

all the best

Scotsman

Hunters of Dune and Sandworms of Dune by Brian Herbert & Kevin J. Anderson will be available fall 2005 and 2006 respectively. There are also 6 prequels, The Butlerian Jihad, The Machine Crusade, The Battle of Corrin, House Atreides, House Harkonnen, House Corrino.

see, to me I like all the questions unanswered. I mean I would obviously love to hear many of the questions revealed but it is so satisfying that it really doesnt bother me that much. Not only this but because they are so heavy I wouldnt want any other person to write anything to answer them, as they wouldnt be from the original source.

Now if brian just did what christopher tolkien did with the silmarillion for example, and maybe give out the notes that were written plain and simple, I would love that. But again it would be a bit different because it doesnt sound like frank wrote it in a sort of format that is readable like a mythology or something similar. Still I would rather want the notes, and then use my own ideas and assuptions in a story than to have somebody come up with teh conclusions for me. that is just fan fiction.

the main question is: what is the threat that make the Honored Matres to run away?

but in the end the answer is not so important, words don't have a nature, they only have a role. the threat is just like the Weapon or the Charge, if you understand its role, then you understand it all. its nature has no importance.

It is all those questions left open at the end of chapterhouse that I liked

who were those 2 ppl Duncan kept on seening) What cause all races to return from the scattering

what did the Honored Matres run from

AND why didnt any of the sisterhood return (although speculated that they became Honored Matres, the Honored Matres didn't know abt alot of the sisterhood abilites throuwing doubt that they were once sisters)

The chances are in the nx 2 book all these will be answered and spoilt. And I have an itchy feeling good-old Omnius will make a return (what abt all those probes he launched - only heard abt 1 on Dune) and his data-packet??

I really hope it wasnt Omnius that the Honored Matres were running from or why the children of the scattering returned. If they bring IT back it will be a very cheap cop-out. Well we will find out when HUNTERS OF DUNE and SANDWORMS OF DUNE are release some time

see, to me I like all the questions unanswered. I mean I would obviously love to hear many of the questions revealed but it is so satisfying that it really doesnt bother me that much.

I never saw Chapterhouse as ending on a "cliffhanger" the way the many (including BH & KJA) purport it to be. I thought the way it ended left open so much possibility for the imagination of the reader to realize that the cycles go on and on and something new always comes up, even from very unexpected sources. If nothing else, that is the one major lesson that FH's six Dune novels tell us, that even horrible misdeeds will eventually wither away into grains of sand and rebirth is always possible. A very optimistic view of life in general.

As for the Honored Matres, their issues are more or less resolved because they are being merged and bred into the Bene Gesserit. Essentially the BG relaized that if you can't fight them, join them, but on BG terms. Essentially, let them into your turf, but in such a way that they will never be the same again, but neither will the BG.

I guess the real point is that with all of the FH Dune books, they are each resolved in and of themselves, and you do not NEED to read any further at the end of any of them. Of course we WANT to read more, and it's wonderful to continue the journey. That is the sign of a good writer. Finish a book and resolve it's basic issues, and leave the reader wanting more. But, do not telegraph anything that might hint at where the next piece of the puzzle will fit, and definitely do not leave hanging threads, or "chads" that require the reader to read another tiresome novel...