Beheading of Berg

as I recall there was blood, and as I recall he was screaming. I've read and heard about the ones claiming the clip was false and I really couldn't care less if it was or not. What I've seen seemed very real. Nonetheless had he been dead they still molested his corpse in my eyes they are not human. There is no excuse what so ever for what they've done.

As for his colour, have any of you ever been sat in his possision? I'd bet my right arm that if you were you'd be as pale as a dead man!

I'd bet my right arm that if you were you'd be as pale as a dead man!

Therefore I didn't mention that.

Of course there was blood in the clip, but the screaming came from the person performing the "ritual".

Hoping for the impossible is kind of delusional isn't it? This kind of thing will continue to happen, we might as well accept that and stop calling it names, and instead work on how to stop giving people reasons to do this in the first place. If they can't justify their actions, we'll be on our way.

Optimists are happy, pessimists are correct. I'm not so sure about that; does not the existence of happiness and/or "good things" sort of prove that pessimists are actually incorrect in an absolute sense? Therefore making both philosophies, optimisim and pessimism, equally valid?

Happiness is fleeting and only lasts as long as there is something to make you happy. Unhappiness is lasting and will continue even when there's nothing specific to take you unhappy (either through lack of something to make you happy or through boredom). Still, this is by the by really...

One; you've taken a class in existentialism, havn't you? Schopenhauer would be my guess, or it could be Nietzsche.

Two; even with your explanation, I still think that you're incorrect. Unhappiness is not lasting, since happiness exists -- regardless of how fleeting happiness may or may not be. You say unhappiness is lasting, but, how can it last when there is such a thing as happiness? For unhappiness to last in an absolute sense, an individual would have to be happy and unhappy at the same time. There is just as much a guarantee that an individual will be unhappy in the future as he will be happy. Basically, Dust, I think what you meant to say was that there is more unhappiness than happiness -- not that unhappiness is an absolutem, which is plain wrong. Besides, its possible for individuals to be happy more than they are unhappy...

Ok, maybe I didn't explain myself properly.

The basic feeling of a mind recieving no stimulus would be neutral, quickly becoming boredom and thus unhappiness. This state will continue until something changes to make the mind happy. Happiness will last until boredom sets in, or the happy stimulus ceases. Of course a new stimulus may make the mind happy for longer. The point is that without constant 'happy stimuli,' the mind will revert to being bored and unhappy. Where it has time to think.

Happiness doesn't allow the time for reflection, because reflection is generally sombre. This was nicely put in a newspaper cartoon I once read (Calvin and Hobbes, little gem...)

"I'm happy."

"But I'm not euphoric."

"And now I'm not happy because I'm not euphoric."

"I need to stop thinking while I'm ahead."

I paraphrased but you get the idea. Thinking is depressing because it leads to inevitable but unpalatable conclusions.

As for the existentialism, I actually haven't taken any classes, though I've flipped through a book on Nietzsche and learnt about Schopenhauer's leaf example. No, most of my thinking comes from my own mind, as well as a year long class in Higher Philosophy.