Starwars "extended universe" and Dune

TMA_1

Lots is mentioned of the movies and their use of Dune, but not much is mentioned about the books, which my goodness... lol use a lot of DUne.

I dont particularly dislike this though because they do it in such a way as to not take too many ideas that just make it silly and unimaginative, but actually pay respect to frank herbert in many ways. Still though besides this, there are times when it is a bit too much.

I mean all over there are little mentions, like materials and histories that seem familiar. Plasteel and whatnot. Also with the advent of personal shielding swords were used extensively in the starwars extended universe. These are just a few examples.

Do people know what I mean?

I think FH is to be blamed first.

He has invented self-reuse.

People like the atreides but atreides are exterminated, no problem, FH reuses Duncan ad nauseum.

Baron Harkonnen is a great vilain but he's dead, no problem, he still lives in Alia.

Nobody really dies, everyone will be recycled.

In my opinion FH writes his own story in "Dune's Messiah" he's trapped in the Dune world he has created, he can't stop the movement he has initiated.

Compared to Star Wars novels however FH is clever enough so that i don't feel insulted. Until i realise the flattery.

• 4 months later...

DuneNewt:  The Spice they're referring to is called Glitterstim, made by spider-like creatures on the ring-moons of Kessel.  As I recall, it had little in common with Melange.

(N.B. 'Spice' was a common term for Opiates and other exotic stuff in older times)

The only SW book I've read (aside from "The Essential Guide to X", which really don't count) was Alan Dean Foster's Splinter of the Mind's Eye (it was remade as a comic book in the mid nineties).  One really neat thing about it was that it was written before ESB or RotJ, so a lot of the story isn't known (much in the same way the DE was written before Heretics and Chapterhouse).  It was really cool to read this, and see where the author took Luke and Leia (who were the only Rebel characters mentioned).  For example, they didn't know they were brother and sister yet...

It also got into some really neat technical stuff.  Stormtrooper armour, for example, could be powered up, so that the armour was energy shielded as well as being physical armour.  It also, I think, makes the assumption that lightsabre blades carry physical properties (which explains why Vader's blade doesn't cut Kenobi's flaccid robe in ANH) which allows for some interesting new uses for the blade itself.

I'm probably drifting off-topic, so I'll ust say it was a pretty good book.  Unusually gory, and a fresh look on a then-unfinished work.  And for $2 at a used bookstore, it was a steal.  Highly recommended!

I think FH is to be blamed first.

He has invented self-reuse.

People like the atreides but atreides are exterminated, no problem, FH reuses Duncan ad nauseum.

Baron Harkonnen is a great vilain but he's dead, no problem, he still lives in Alia.

Nobody really dies, everyone will be recycled.

In my opinion FH writes his own story in "Dune's Messiah" he's trapped in the Dune world he has created, he can't stop the movement he has initiated.

Compared to Star Wars novels however FH is clever enough so that i don't feel insulted. Until i realise the flattery.

Did you meant that Dune's Messiah would be an autobiography?