More LAN help?

lenny76

Hello all.

I am new around here, but I assure you I have read all the threads about LAN problems. But still no success. Me and my friend got two computers, both windows XP, both have the latest patch, IPX protocolls installed. I've tried both direct connect through a Null-modem cable and network cable. Still can't see eachother in the dune2000 lobby. If anyone can help please reply.

For some reason this is only a problem with Dune 2000 and Red Alert. Extremely irritating.

Lenny.

Well, I've tried every network settings possible. Still nothing.

But what I did do the other day was to install The Red Alert Manager.(From this site: http://ra.afraid.org/).

That helped a bit. ??? Now, we at least see each other in the RA lobby. But when I press the "JOIN" button NOTHING HAPPENS!!! >:(

In dune2k as I said earlier, we don't even see each other.

Why, why is this happening to me?? :'(

Lenny.

if you don't see eachother in the Red Alert gaem loby on a LAN that usually indicates that you either don't have IPX, or are blocking computer identification usually with the use of a firewall or something like that. . .

thanks for that shy,

in regards to the lan issue,

i had this issue when trying to connect xp home to 98 and seeing another player in the d2k lobby,

the only way i could get the issue resolved was by installing xp pro on both machines...

pro has more protocols availible than home.. even though i had ipx installed on home and 98

- i didnt try xp home to xp home....

I've tried both direct connect through a Null-modem cable and network cable. Still can't see eachother in the dune2000 lobby.

We DO see eachother in the lobbies. I chose game and "JOIN" and then nothing.

Do you know what has changed from you not being able to see both computers in the lobby. . to seeing both computers but not being able to connect ?

Ah, sorry if this was unclear.

We can see each other in the RED ALERT lobby. (But cannot join).

In the DUNE 2000 lobby we do NOT see each other.

------

And thank you Shy, but clicking the share your folders option does not help.

Thank you all for your replies, but it still don't work. Seems like I've tried just about everything.

Lenny.

Yes, we see eacother local network neighbourhood. And every other game work on direct connect except these two.

The games that work are all newer games Including:

Neverwinter nights, JK1, JK2 and 3, Quake 2, Unreal(1), Battlefield 1942, Medal of honor....

They are all ok, except for my two favourite real time strategy games.

The value for the adapters are the ethernet 802,2 thing and network number 10000000 on one computer and 20000000 on the other comp.(as described in countless FAQ's.)

Lenny.

That's because the newer games all use the TCP/IP protocol for LAN games. The games you are having troubles with are using IPX.

Can you change the settings for the network number to 00000000 on both adapters / computers ?

If that doesn't work. Try to uninstall the IPX protocol. And then install it again.

Hi...

I installed RA with the installer on the site someone here gave,it hase both patches and does all the compability stuff. When i click on multiplayer i have only two choices, skirmish and modem/serial. How do i do to have the lan network option, i know then i will have to instal ipx and stuff but i would like to at least see the option.

thank you

Thanx, i installed the ipx protocol, but now do i go in internet game or multiplayer, because when i go in multiplaye and settings i get somethin' weird in the bottom right of my screen...and internet game only givs me a window with cancel in it...nothin' else

can someone pleaz help me...

thanx

unfortunately Red Alert and Dune2000 are games that need an server inorder to play online. Dune2000 has an alternative server.

[ Olaf's server ].

Although I am not aware of any one for Red Alert. That doesn't mean however there arn't any. :)