Go play Go!

Egeides

hey! I am the official master of Go, dont steal my thunder egeides.lol you have a board edric? I didnt know that, you never posted about my go threads, I am glad somebody appreciates it!

good grief it is like a tiny universe, so many different moves, it is almost infinite. There were three things in ancient china that one could do to gain noteriaty. You could master the bow, caligraphy, or Go.

*slaps himself for calling Go a Japanese game*

I had forgotten that it was originally invented by the Chinese, then it spread to Japan (where it gained its greatest popularity, I think). Thanks for reminding me, TMA.

And yes, I do have a Go board, but like I said, I never really had the chance to play more than a handful of games. So I'm a total newbie. :)

lol yeah it is kinda hard to find people who play it. I am excited for one of many things about going to Western Washington University. I mean so many things are going to be great there when I go, one is there is a Go club. hehe

Vanguard: Dots, Othello, Reversi and the like are only downgraded version of Go on some aspects, even if they may be fun (Reversi is amusing :)).

Heck... maybe next year I'll find a Go club :)

Until then, here's some ressources I found:

www.Gobase.org

www.goproblems.com

http://kgs.kiseido.com/

Go is incredible: from what I saw until now, it's not like Chess with a bunch of (well) invented rules. It's truly directly laws found in the world. It is how influence and territory work in battles, should it be political, rhetorical or field battles. There's alot to lurn from it, including how to not lose energy uselessly, micro vs macro, and how to not divide your forces but get your forces to support each other.

Besides, I read somewhere that Go was used by Oriental commanders to lurn how to command (strategy, etc.).

• 2 weeks later...