Actual notes from FH for prequels and sequels

Filo

Who knows how true is this pretending from BH and KJA about FH's notes they used as a base?

Were these notes, if they exist (which proof have we got, after all?), really fated to become prequels and sequels (included Dune 7, 8 and why not 9, 10)?

I'd like to see them and be sure they wasn't only FH's helpfull tools to organize his actual books.

Andrew, what you say hardens my doubts!

Because, yes, I believe there was SOME notes, but no one saw them (except Herbert Limited Partnership, so).

Don't you think they had been surely too much interpreted anyway?

And weren't they the ideal passport to easily validate Brian's work in the fans'eyes?

there is no doubt that there are notes to me, I just dont think that they are the greatest at interpriting them and adding ones that should and shouldnt be used. Also not sure if how much they use of the notes, or how many notes there really are. I bet that much of the notes are just ramblings, poetry, and things that really couldnt be used well ins tory writing. Could be wrong though.

Inoculator9, I must confess I was expecting especially from you a skilled advice! But I see this matter will remain a mystery (even if we seem to think all the same).

• 1 month later...

As someone who has done some writing, notes don't mean a whole lot. Notes are sort of a framework whereby everything begins. Once you start going in a certain direction, some of the original notes may not apply any more. I do not think BH and KJA have the capacity to discerne between a dead-end note and one that still applies to the novels. I imagine there will be a lot of contradictory stuff in these upcoming "never-before published chapters of the first three books." Either these chapters contradict things that later became part of the story, were edited out of the final draft for brevity, or got dropped altogether because they no longer applied or confused the main stories.

I do hope that no one ever gets the idea to re-publish Dune with the missing chapters added. I think that would be a tragedy.

Notes and outlines are just that. They are not a finished work and should not be interpreted as such. Someday, the Dune legacy will pas into the hands of someone worthy and we will get some good new work in this world. Just not while these two are in charge of things.