Mechs Vs. Tanks

Seth

feyd what kind of mechs are you talking about

battletech:  fury's and burke tankes can take out a mech but most standard tanks can't

emporer:  tanks cant stand up in a straight up fight against any of the mechs except a mongoose which is not a tank

A mech doesn't really have to be unmanurverable.  A tank can really mount a turrent in comparision to the size of it's base.  Where as a Mech could mount a gun the size of it's leg.

The larger height means that it could fire further then the tank so the tank needs to get closer to the mech without getting chewed up.

But in regards to mechs, what types are we refering to?  Mechs like out of Battletech or Mechs like out of Emperor.

If a BT mech, and depending on it's type, it could easily destroy a tank.  Tanks are also dependent on the surfaces they drive on.  A mech on the top of a hill can just shot down at a tank below.  and the tank needs alot more force to get up the hill to the mech then the mech would if the tank was shooting it from the hill.

So therefor a mech should come out trumps with a tank.... unless the mech is really of crap design or being piloted by a bad...pilot.  Or the tank has some big artillery thingy on it or something along railguns and other outrageours weaponary.

OK I'm starting to rant....I think I'll stop...what was the question?

hmm....not bad for my first post...heh ;D

many of the battletech tanks come with a full complement of ppc's, lrm's, srm's, lasers, and gauss rifles so dont underestimate some of them  but mechs can carry tons and tons of just armor and weapons they also have intricate sensors to detect heat light and magnetic fluxuations and some have jumppjet capabilities ( vents to shoot out super heated plasma and rocket them into the sky)  while e:bfd mechs have 1-2 weapons and slow speed   :O

exactly ex-atriedies thats the problem. building the thing and powering the thing. I think it would prolly need a nuclear reactor to power it. And the cost of building it would be enormous with current technologies :O. So i dont think well be seeing many mechs in the near future. But in the more distant future they may be as common as the tank is today. Think of it like this(i learned this in history class) Leonardo Davinci invented a tank like 400 yrs ago (or whenever he lived).  Of course it wasnt like a tank today because it was made of wood and got around by people walking inside of it but the basic philosophy of the tank was still there. The problem was none of the kings of his day wanted to buy it into their armies, why?, because they thought that it was inferior to calvary, too slow, would easily catch fire etc... which it prolly was.  But try putting a guy on horseback against a tank today and see what happens ;D so you see what im gettin at? a mech used in combat in our day and age would suck but who knows what battles of the future may be like

My guess is that the mech would be powerd by a nuclear power plant (isn't that what the Devistators have in them?) or, like the BT Mechs use big engines ;D

Armour will probily end up being lighter in the future as new Alloys and elements are found/created.

And, again, if it is a BT mech, then it matters what type it is.  A Chameleon on has large, small, medium lasers and 2 machine guns.  Not a single LRM or SRM. (expects everyone to ask him what a Chameleon is.... ;D)

bt mechs are powered by fusion engines moved by electrical impulses sent through synthetic myomer muscles  the 100 ton mech daishi can carry several tons of weaponry and go to speeds of 68 kilometers per hour or 80 with a masc many of the weapons could smash a tank before it could even dent an armor plate

take the gauss rifle uses superconductive magnets to hurl a nickle (???? help with the other part) slug at past the speed of sound this slug weighs around 700-800 pounds one of these would break an aircraft carrier in half not to mention a tank.  lrm shoot up to 20 missles out of each launcher each missle is highly explosive and just one would destroy most of a tank.  auto cannon rounds send out depleted uranium slugs weighing 30-40 pounds each sending out a max of 20 some are also highly explosive and some explode into shrapnel.  tanks suck mechs win the end