There never was, and never will be?

Dante

I recently finished 'Hordes of the Underdark,' the expansion pack to Neverwinter Nights. Now, harping on about it again, I want to know if anyone else has played it recently? Or at all? And most importantly, what was it like?

I'm beginning to realise that perhaps one of the best games I've ever played was Neverwinter Nights and the two subsequent expansion packs. Nothing compares. I don't just mean graphically I mean in terms of gameplay and story. There may never be anything better. I'll wait for discussion before I elaborate though. Hordes of the Underdark was better than Shadows of Undrentide... Perhaps? Any debate on that?

And of course, does anyone think there is a significant chance of there being a third expansion pack? Or even a fourth?

I don't think there'll be another Expension Pack. Then again, designers that need money often come up with the strangest titles (such as Patrician 3 -where they didn't even bother to remove the 'Patrician 2' logo from an intro movie that was completly identical to the last part).

If there is to be a Neverwinter Nights II, I hope they'll support subraces and cloaks this time  :)

Christ in gameplay and story NWN is one of the worst RPGs I've played.  :O

How can you say that? What could possibly compare?

With evidence please.  :)

And keeping in mind that I'm including both of the subsequent expansion packs. The most recent one (Hordes of the Underdark) is really what I'm focussing on here. Truly epic.

And I don't play games on the internet so that's not really a factor for me. 

Decent, but not great. Seems to me that it was someone’s ADND quest put on the computer screen. While it may have worked well for the pen-and-paper version, I found that the characters always seemed really distant when talking to me up until the very end of the game, and by then I almost didn’t care. The whole “go to (place x)/kill person or steal item/return to (place y)” thing really didn’t suit me either, after a couple of those sidequests I decided to go right for the main plot.

Thats why I didnt like it.  For me the game with the best plot is either Final Fantasy 7 or Final Fantasy 5.  I also really enjoyed the first Max Payne story.  But for me it isnt really "it."

How can you say that? What could possibly compare?

Planescape: Torment is better in every conceivable way (except graphics, although I actually prefer 2D RPGs to 3D ones). The story is just incredible.

I haven't played either of the expansion packs to NWN so I can't judge on those (they might be a lot better than the core game, much like ToB was to BG2) but the original game had a crap plot, had crap spells, had no originality or quirks to make it interesting and the combat was nowhere near good enough to make up for the lack of decent character interaction/development.