Emperor under WinXP

Anoyd

Hi there,

Been running Dune quite happily on my PC (Athlon 1.4, 256mb RAM, Geforce 4 MX under WinXP SP1) and my mate saw me playing it. The very next day he phoned me cos he was having problems - he'd bought it ;D. So i went to his house and he's running and almost identical configuration to mine, the differences being he has a Athlon XP 2400+, and a Riva TNT 2 M64. He doesn't use Norton and we used a clean install of windows when we built his PC a short while ago. I've read most of these this forum but haven't found anything, but anyway - the problem:

The game loads, displays the intro, gives you the main menu, allows you to start a campaign, skirmish, tutorial etc, loads the selected game, allows you to start playing and then exits to the desktop after a random amount of time :'(. I've got all the updates for windows, and directx 9b. dxdiag checks out fine and so i turn to you. Anyone had the same problems? Let me know,

Cheers

Graham

Have you patched Emperor Battle for Dune ?

Mayby this topic at Westwood could help if you havn't tried it already.

I presume there are no programms running in the background ? If this has been the first time you installed EBfD on his computer try to reinstall it. [ pay attention to the serial number not being typed in incorrectly by mistake ]

Does it crash to your desktop no matter which opton you choose, internet, campaign or skirmish ?

• 2 weeks later...

Me again !

another solution to this problem is what I had to do,I had to flash my Bios(don't worry u can't be arrested for it) at least I don't think u can ?

Well anyway if your Bios is a couple of years old, it may not have Fastwrite enabled.I had the very same problem on XP Pro with an AMD K7 1.3 Ghz P.c.

After I updated my Bios,the game worked !

A.M.

Thanks for all the help and suggestions guys, the problem has been resolved, though not in the way you would expect.

When I returned to his house later in the week, he had sold his PC :O

While this means no more problems, it also means he is at my house playing on my PC all the time >:(

Thanks again for your help,

Anoyd