Super Dune II Classic is an updated version of the Dune II modification/add-on, Super Dune 2, which was released back in 1994 by Power C and Shadow Knight. The Classic edition fixes as many glitches and bugs in Super Dune 2 as possible, while keeping the original feel and all features of the modification intact.
Super Dune II Classic is designed for stand-alone installation, but you will still need certain original Dune II files to play.
NOTE: It is not recommended to install Super Dune II Classic into your Dune II directory. Follow the instructions in the readme file on how to create a stand-alone installation of Super Dune II Classic.
NOTE: If you're running Super Dune II Classic from Windows (without DOSBox), it is highly recommended that you also download and install the Windows sound/speech fix.
Super Dune II Classic at ModDB
Download Super Dune II Classic v1.5g
Download Super Dune II Savegames
Super Dune II Classic Screenshot Gallery
The fixes and changes introduced in Super Dune II Classic include:
- All scenario (mission) files have been cleaned of errors and mistakes, first and foremost of the team bug, which means the AI is now harder. Here's a nice example of enemy attack teams:
- The Mentat animations for the new sides were messed up in SD2, this has, too, been fixed. Now the Fremen are briefed by Cyril, the Mercenaries by Ammon, and the Sardaukar by Radnor.
- All missions are now supplied with appropriate briefings.
- The errors which caused concrete placement restrictions for the Mercenaries and the Sardaukar ("concrete bug") and prevented the Fremen- and Mercenary-conquered regions from showing up on the conquest map ("vanishing houses bug") have been fixed.
- Frigate delivery now works properly for the new sides:
- The player-owned sandworms in the Fremen campaign are now more friendly towards the player's other units. They are set by default to Area Guard, in which mode they do not devour friendly units. Additionally, the player can now manually set the worms into Area Guard mode if the need arises:
- Fixed some in-game graphical bugs, including the IX remap error.
- All modified files are neatly packed into PAK archives for your convenience.
I'd like to thank the following people who helped me a lot with project development:
- ArrakisResearchCo for his Dune II Tile Editor
- Minniatian for his EMC Editor
- Nyerguds for his Dune II Editor, modified SETUP.EXE and lots of support
- Olaf van der Spek for his XCC Mixer
- Segra for fixing the "concrete bug", "vanishing houses bug", lots of other fixes and invaluable help with Dune II code analysis
- Siberian_GRemlin for Siberian String Table Editor with MENTAT?.ENG file support added at my request
- TCH for his Dune 2 Scenario Editor
- Ultraq for his Red Horizon Utilities with support of Dune 2 SHP, WSA and CPS conversion implemented at my request