Star Trek: Dominion Wars

Anathema

This is a pretty old game but well constructed IMO. Only downside is that its really unstable (it crashes more often then any other game I know of). I reinstalled it the other day when I was bored and wondered why it never was much of a succes (besides the games instability).

Does anybody else know this game?

Yes, I never even saved ingame (only during fleet selection) because the next day I wouldn't even be able to use those saves anyway. And the game is also pretty much SP orientated, wich doesn't help making a game succesful either.

They certainly help a lot, but it still remains pretty unstable. It's a strategy game but very different from Armada, but I never played Starfleet Command.

Basicly, you get an amount of credits at the start of a campaign, of wich you "buy" some ships and their captains. After completing a mission you get a credit reward (more if you completed secondary objectives as well as primary objectives). These you use to buy more advanced ships for later missions. Sometimes your captains will get promoted (so they can command more advanced ships) and medals (wich give some sort of bonus, depending on the type of medal).

Ships can also be outfitted between missions with better stuff, like for example quantum torpedoes instead of photon torpedoes.

You also can board enemy ships and capture them (wich I do a lot). You can also order your ships to target subsystems (weapons, shield generator, engine and transporters)

A ship has three crewtypes. Security is used for boarding and defending against it, engineering for (quicker) repairs, and there's command staff wich allow a ship to move at all available speeds (otherwise a ship would only move at either 1/4 impulse or warp).

Hope that explains it.

I like the game, but too unstable. I did love the mission where you have the Defiant, and must take out the heavily guarded array. I kept having to retreat and repair after each target. Also, Starship Creator 2 allows you to import ships you've made on it to Dominion Wars.