Firewall?

skylabops

Hello all. I'm new to playing online, but old at playing the game.

I need to know if there's any ports I might need to open on my NAT here for my firewall? I can connect online, however, when I try and join a game, it waits the 60 second countdown, then I get a connot connect error.

Happens everytime!

Ok!

I hope to get to play some soon and happy to be part of the community.

- mayby anyone can move it to tech-support ? Thanks :)

first, do you need any help with any possible NAT settings or firewall settings ?

NAT settings are managed by your router and although partially working as a passive firewall, the have in fact nothing to do with any function related to a real [software or hardware] firewall. Using NAT settings should not be needed when playing Dune2000 online as far as I remember. Unless you have a D-Link router.

Firewall settings are as far as I can rember not that hard. Adjust the settings of yout firewall to manual configurationo of firewall rules so it will ask you every time an request is made to a LAN or WAN adres if you lik eto allow it or not. Start up Dune 2000, go to LAN or internet game and it will prompt you to allow the EXE file acces to the net, after you proceed a learning rule in the firewall will ask you what ports [ usually the ones the programm itself asks for ] whould have acces. Grand acces to the rules Dune2000.exe [ or whatever it is called ] is requesting acces and you should be able to play online. With just one downside. You can not be pinged in the rooms, so every connection would seen verry slow. I myself always have pings of 999 with Yuri's revenge. Some even bann me before letting me enter a game. So you might want to say fw, standing for firewall when some one asks for it so they know your ping is false.

Now, being disconnected when you enter a game is probably not caused by your firewall nor any router NAT settings. Do you have a virusscanner running in the background, specifically any download scanner or real time disk and programm scanner of any kind ? If so, close that one and try to play online again. :)

hi skylabops

take a look @ my post the A to Z of how to play online , but while your here , ill tell you the basics first you need a patch called RC (ROTORZ CONECTOR) dont even try to play on-line , without this patch , you can download it @ http://snap.to/tu secondly you need to switch to 8 bit graphics in the game options , dont argue about this trust me you will not be able to play online if you use 16 bit graphics , if you read the read me file on your dune2000 cd it will explain on there , also it is in more detail on ww.com .thats all you need 8 bit graphics and the RC patch. ohh and when you get there look me up , ill introduce you to your first on-line butt whoopin .

http://mysite.freeserve.com/shy

Hi everyone!

Thank you for your responses.

1. About the firewall. I'm using a USR8000a, NAT based hardware firewall. It's basically the same as the D-Link (and the older Linksys). They're all based on the SMC, which, these companies just bought and re-branded. The reason I'm asking about ports is, that was my first thought when I could do everything BUT connect to start a networked game.

2. THANK YOU SHYGIRL! I actually had read around and found your howto. I did get that RC patch, however, it's .86 and then they have the .91 update, which, gives me an error whenever I try and use it. So, perhaps I'll just have to uninstall/reinstall Dune2000.

3. I also got the patch 1.06 immediately, so that is installed also.

Ok, off to uninstall/reinstall.

Quick question, does anyone know what the Dune2000 themepack is, which is located at Westwood's FTP server? Should I have that?